Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Consistent Differences in Grading Between PCGS and NGC ... Myth or Reality in the Present Day?

Hi folks,

I apologize in advance if this discussion isn't permitted, but after reading a recent thread "dragged up" from years ago by a recent post, I was just curious to hear thoughts from the member base on this board on this issue. It seems that I often hear comments about how PCGS and NGC differ in the way they grade, but I was just curious as to whether you all feel this is indeed the case in the present day (say in the past year or so). My personal experience has been that both have been relatively tight recently, but I frankly can't point to any consistent "difference" in the grading of the two companies (of course I have no where near the experience of many on this board so I could very well be entirely wrong!). I am just curious to hear your thoughts - Do you think NGC indeed still grades looser at particular grades or in particular series, or do you feel the two are roughly comparable overall.

As always any opinions are great to hear. image

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the last few years the guys ATS are a bit tighter on capped bust coins in AG-VF. But thats just what I see.

Oh yeah, lower grade 1916-D dimes too!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I submit mostly franklin halves and washington quarters. On franklins i havent noticed much of a difference except ATS they are tougher on the FBL designation. With washington quarters i have noticed they are pretty much the same upto MS66. Above MS66 i have to give it to PCGS as the tougher graders.

Edited to add: What exactly does tighter mean on grading? When a collector is proficient in grading the series they collect and the coin comes back a point maybe even 2 points lower ect, does that mean the collector is wrong or? I always felt before you get serious in collecting you should become well seasoned in grading the series you intend to collect. Once you do that the plastic means nothing and the grade on the label should only be used as a guidline when viewing in hand is not an option. In the end the coin is all that matters.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past, I seldom bought NGC-graded coins.
    In the present, I seldom buy NGC-graded coins.
    I've been happy with the results.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is tighter overall, but it does vary from series to series.
    One glaring example I recently came across is grading modern platinum bullion. PCGS coins graded MS70 were in the single digits while NGC was handing out 70's like candy, literally.. There were something like 1300 MS70's in their pop report to PCGS's 2 MS70's. I wish I had the exact coin and date, but all I can remember is that they were small (1/10th oz probably) platinum bullion. But anyway, it was a testament to PCGS's tighter grading - at least on that series.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there really any good reason why consistent grading is important.....and to whom?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I really like the new NGC holder and 1/2 of my non-registry collection is in NGC holders
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit that I like the NGC holder better. It scratches less easily. However on grading, I believe that PCGS is tougher on proofs which is my main interest. The definitions of cameo and deep cameo are very different. There can be significantly less contrast and still receive an NGC cameo label. The opportunity is to see the coins in hand (in holder). A just miss PCGS may upgrade in NGC. A high quality NGC may cross and yield better money on sale or let you get the coin into the PCGS registry.

I also collect toned MS Jeffersons. I can get a lot more color holdered with NGC.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Although PCGS may be a tad tighter overall I noticed last night when looking through my Proof Jeffersons ( 38-64) several of them are PCGS CAM graded when in fact they are not CAM! Yeah the label says it but they are not. I think NGC may be better at the CAM designation in the Jefferson series . I guess its good for me so when I sell these I will get more money for them since a lot of people only care what the label says. Such is the state of the coin market today.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    In US Coins, I've crossed ZERO coins from NGC to PCGS! image I'm going to submit some World Coins for crossover in the near future and see if I can do any better. If my results are ZERO again, I'll never buy another NGC coin.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its reality based just on my collecting experience.

When I collected CAM and DCAM Jefferson proofs I concluded NGC was looser on those designations. Moreover, the average grade for all Jefferson proofs graded by NGC (1950-1964) was 0.9 points higher than the comparable population at PCGS.

IMO many gold coins in NGC MS61 and MS62 holders would be graded as AU at PCGS.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS is usually tighter on commems in the 64-66 range, my only objection is that this is another gotcha for new collectors, thinking they have all high-grade stuff until they go to sell it, then they lose money or have to find someone else who doesn't know.

On circ stuff like walkers and barbers, I don't see much difference, however I have recently seen a bunch of PCGS graded Barber halves that were just nasty and I can't believe they slabbed, at whatever grade. I hope it was just some bad batches.

Most of my copper is raw so I don't know about that.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC coins usually bring less than the same grade coins in a PCGS holder at auction.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often buy NGC coins for my collection IF I like them and they are CAC stickered. I have lately been unsuccessful at crossing any of them even though I and JA and Laura agree with the grade. Oh well.

As far as submissions go, I've only submitted one coin to both services recently - and it was graded exactly the same at both ... even though I and Laura thought it nice enough to deserve at least a + designation.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I often buy NGC coins for my collection IF I like them and they are CAC stickered. I have lately been unsuccessful at crossing any of them even though I and JA and Laura agree with the grade. Oh well. >>

Do you think there are politics involved? Ever wonder how they would have fared if they were cracked out first?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I often buy NGC coins for my collection IF I like them and they are CAC stickered. I have lately been unsuccessful at crossing any of them even though I and JA and Laura agree with the grade. Oh well. >>

Do you think there are politics involved? Ever wonder how they would have fared if they were cracked out first? >>

I believe that in some instances, PCGS just doesn't want to grade the coin that high unless it's all there and then some, even though it may deserve the number. For instance, a name that shall remain confidential stated that one such coin deserved the full grade in his opinion even though I agreed to cross it at the undergrade with a plus. [note: If the three of us ALL agree with a grade, then I won't do that.]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an equal number of PCGS and NGC coins . Several of them have the "old tags" with the same exact grades from the "other" company. NGC's crossed to PCGS and PCGS crossed to NGC to get "the star". I've never submitted to either service, they all came this way...............Having a near fatal case of OCD/ADD I would like one day if all my coins were in the same type of holder for a uniform look/feel...............Doubt that will ever happen. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    In the areas that I collect, Proof Indian Cents, Large Cents, and Proof Type, I have found PCGS to be much tighter, by as many as two grade points in the upper mint state and proof grades.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    The important factor (not mentioned here so far) is the knowledge that stands behind the guarantee of authenticity. The grade is a number, based on opinion, and often, subject to change.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file