Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Am I seeing things, or is the coin sniffer process destructive to coins

On the home page is the video of the coin sniffer in progress. Take a look at 1:21 minutes into the video. Am I seeing things, or does it appear that she just took the coin out of the flip bare handed, set it on the sniffer using the coin's edge, then used her bare thumb on the coin's obverse to further adjust the coin's placement. LOL, at least the sniffer didn't pick up the oil from her thumb. It may show up in the slab sometime later though. IDK, my OCD just doesn't like the thought of her putting a thumb print on a coin I've taken extreme care with. What's up with that ? Maybe my eyes are failing me !!!

Now I suppose, the operator could simply have been chosed because she's attractive and made a good model and that's not really how the coins are treated. It does bring up the thought that rattlers are desired because they have shown to be stable over a long period of time, and an abusive thumb print would've shown up by now. IDK, just a thought.

I reserve the right to edit this thread out if someone points out how bad my eyesight is.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the home page is the video of the coin sniffer in progress. Take a look at 1:21 minutes into the video. Am I seeing things, or does it appear that she just took the coin out of the flip bare handed, set it on the sniffer using the coin's edge, then used her bare thumb on the coin's obverse to further adjust the coin's placement. LOL, at least the sniffer didn't pick up the oil from her thumb. It may show up in the slab sometime later though. IDK, my OCD just doesn't like the thought of her putting a thumb print on a coin I've taken extreme care with. What's up with that ? Maybe my eyes are failing me !!!

Now I suppose, the operator could simply have been chosed because she's attractive and made a good model and that's not really how the coins are treated. It does bring up the thought that rattlers are desired because they have shown to be stable over a long period of time, and an abusive thumb print would've shown up by now. IDK, just a thought.

I reserve the right to edit this thread out if someone points out how bad my eyesight is. >>

Nothing wrong with your eyesight, but perhaps HRH or DW could provide some insight.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    I'm just going to take a wild guess and say that that particular coin chosen for that video was a known bad coin to demonstrate the sniffer. Probably no need for the staff to be careful with it since they knew it was bad and it is probably the demonstration sample coin or one of them.

My guess is that they don't handle coins like that normally but this is a known baddie anyway.

They probably should clean up that video though to remove all doubt.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Its just a prop coin and they were just being lazy. I wouldnt worry about it much, Im sure your coins are fine.

Sorry John, you beat me to it.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sniffer video was shown at the PCGS luncheon at the FUN show earlier this month, and an actual unit was on hand to look at. David Hall made the point that handling of the coin for the video shoot was only for demonstration purposes, and actual handling is different... as is the surface that the machine is on (coin-friendly in case of drops). I have absolutely no worries about the process.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The sniffer video was shown at the PCGS luncheon at the FUN show earlier this month, and an actual unit was on hand to look at. David Hall made the point that handling of the coin for the video shoot was only for demonstration purposes, and actual handling is different... as is the surface that the machine is on (coin-friendly in case of drops). I have absolutely no worries about the process. >>

Why they would release a sloppy video is beyond belief, just how much effort and time would they have spent to do it with a pair of gloves instead of barehanded? I know they claim they do not do your coins that way, ( i do not even question that) the powers to be should have spent 10 seconds thinking about it and how it would look. Lazy and unprofessional.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    They need a model in a clean room bunny suit handling the coins for the video.

Ed
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Why they would release a sloppy video is beyond belief, just how much effort and time would they have spent to do it with a pair of gloves instead of barehanded? I know they claim they do not do your coins that way, ( i do not even question that) the powers to be should have spent 10 seconds thinking about it and how it would look. Lazy and unprofessional. >>

Was wondering the same thing. And I could be wrong, but every time someone asks about this in one of the threads, I've yet to see a response from someone at PCGS actually stating people either a) wear gloves, or b) don't touch the coins anywhere but the edges. It seems to me that if they were trained to touch the coin only by the edges, even in a demo video they would. I don't understand why they would touch the obv/rev of the coin even if it was just for demonstration.

It worries me that I've never seen a response in one of the threads, noting that I could very well have missed it every time.
  • Options
    the amateur hour is turning into a full series.
  • Options
    "Image is everything"...

"A first impression is a lasting one"...

etc., etc., etc.

VERY easily prevented poor marketing, as evidenced by the questions and doubt shown in this thread.
  • Options
    >>"Image is everything"...

"A first impression is a lasting one"...

etc., etc., etc.

VERY easily prevented poor marketing, as evidenced by the questions and doubt shown in this thread."<<

Agreed. If I were in charge of this thing, every coin would be treated with the same care and that would be a hard rule - demonstration especially! for goodness sakes! That's where I would want to impress you. It would be to PCGS's advantage to have made a reasonably accurate video IMHO. I don't like the assumptions this approach might infer about the customer base and how they are perceived.

Eric
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that PCGS would require their employees to wear gloves to handle raw coins. If there is concerns that they will be easier to drop, latex or some other non-cotton gloves could be used.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I would think that PCGS would require their employees to wear gloves to handle raw coins. If there is concerns that they will be easier to drop, latex or some other non-cotton gloves could be used. >>

You would think so, but I remember a thread a few weeks ago where someone mentioned a PQ gem+ (66 or 67 can't remember) Franklin came back from PCGS with a blatant thumb print that flat out did not exist prior to encapsulation. These videos just don't help confidence at all.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It looks like they need to release Secure Plus Update III!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the video, but would imagine that such sloppy handling of the coin is indicative of how the process actually works rather than what PCGS wants you to believe. If PCGS truly cared about this step of the process then their own QC/QA should have caught this act and re-shot the video. However, I do not agree with wearing gloves since gloves would likely lead to a higher incidence of dropped coins. Simply handle the coin with the respect you would show it if it were your favorite piece and this should be enough.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I suspect that the pieces being graded, while not being treated in a cavalier fashion, are still handled a bit differently than we would at home.
  • Options

<< <i>However, I do not agree with wearing gloves since gloves would likely lead to a higher incidence of dropped coins. >>

Can't they be handled over a padded surface? Also, latex gloves would have less slip and better gripping characteristics than cotton or even dry skin.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>However, I do not agree with wearing gloves since gloves would likely lead to a higher incidence of dropped coins. >>

Can't they be handled over a padded surface? Also, latex gloves would have less slip and better gripping characteristics than cotton or even dry skin. >>

Frankly, wearing latex gloves for extended periods is not especially pleasant and it is wasteful to use new ones every 5 minutes.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think that PCGS would require their employees to wear gloves to handle raw coins. If there is concerns that they will be easier to drop, latex or some other non-cotton gloves could be used. >>

it has been stated by PCGS that they do not wear gloves
    check out the other videos, too
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Can't they be handled over a padded surface? Also, latex gloves would have less slip and better gripping characteristics than cotton or even dry skin. >>

Frankly, wearing latex gloves for extended periods is not especially pleasant and it is wasteful to use new ones every 5 minutes. >>

cotton glove and/or finger cotts could be used.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a video would you feel better if they fully suited up image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed it as well and my first thought was I am glad that I collect mostly circulated coins as opposed to white uncs. I do agree that that image was a lasting one and I am surprised that it would be on their video to promote the process. When I saw this thread it really struck me how every conservation minded collector's alarm bells must have gone off when they saw that.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the video and noticed the person placing a thumb on the coin. I'm confident all coins are not treated this way, but... It should be edited out, as this would deter me from submitting coins for this service.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's just a video would you feel better if they fully suited up image

image >>

OK, once gloved and masked, the guy in the bubble wrap will be allowed to be in the same room as my coins, but the guy in the black shirt will have to wait outside
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

<< <i>

it has been stated by PCGS that they do not wear gloves
    check out the other videos, too >>

We already know this. That's why were are discussing whether or not they sould be to protect the coins surfaces from accidential finger prints.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    The ONLY time I wear gloves when handling coins is when they're getting put into a Dansco. Other than that, I never wear them since they seriously reduce tactile sensation and actually increase the opportunity to drop or mishandle a coin.

As for the video, its just a video defining and portraying the sniffer process produced in a format thats easily understandable. No specifics should really be read into it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    The coins to be sniffed are handled properly. The sniffing process is NOT destructive. The issue of whether gloves should be used relates more to grading than it does the use of the sniffer. In any event, the remarks in this thread deflect attention from the tremendous potential of this technology. Please read my report and analysis:

The Formal Introduction of the PCGS ‘Coin Sniffer’ at the PCGS Luncheon

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    surgical quality latex gloves are inexpensive , ..........and try telling a brain surgeon they dampen his delicate touch !

Proper fitting , quality latex gloves have never hindered my sensitive touch - and I have worn them for years .........

Non-powdered , high quality latex gloves would be the most professional way I can imagine for graders, staff, mail room personnel , encapsulators , etc

to insure the utmost care and safety of a submitters coins .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file