Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

my garage just collapsed under the weight of the snow....

i got my car out unscathed. one other got out without damage. pic is in the dark and not so good. 2-3 feet of snow on a 60 year old roof and sh$t happens. will post more in the morning.

so post a coin that weighs heavy in your collection. lets bring the roof down with nice coins!!!

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Comments

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What part of the country are you in? Down here in the south you can find some houses that don't have collar ties properly installed on the rafters, which will help prevent things like this.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

You don't see that happen in Florida! Good luck with the clean up and repairs!
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    Wow , what a mess , comiserations man , i hope you dont have "that" cut rate insurance

snowy roof mayhem
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! Bad news! image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes sorry to hear that!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    You try to keep the cars in out of the weather and what happens?

The weather comes in after the cars!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! About the worst I ever had to deal with was ice dams forming on the roof of my house, which quickly show you that you have leaks
    once the sun starts beating down on the snow above the dams, and you start seeing those big brown spots on ceiling image
    And it's not so great down here in FL either - I have to mow the grass today image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. here in CT I have about 3 feet of snow on my roof and they are calling for another
    storm this wednesday. I keep looking at the roof praying it doesnt happen here, it would be horrible
    icing on an already beat cake of a year lol

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    In AZ, we are suffering thru lows in the 40's and midday temps in the 70's..........
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Good luck with the clean up effort. I hope everything is okay.

• Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Here in Connecticut there have been several roofs collapsing. Channel 3 showed many on last night's news.
    Over in Foster, RI the school roof collapsed.
    My neighbors have already scraped snow off their roofs. I really hate to do it but I'm thinking I have to get up there and shovel the snow off. Another Alberta Clipper snowstorm predicted for Wednesday.
  • Options
    Some people have never been exposed to the likes of the snow being the cause of a roof collapse, but it is very common. Hire someone to shovel the roof if you are unable.
  • Options
    mercy, pace yourself with that cleanup.

I saw a lot of caved-in carports in, of all places, San Antonio during the big, mid'80's massive snowfall.

yeah, I'm sure a lot of folks up that way should shovel their roofs. I've always wondered at what point homeowners up there begin to worry about all that weight up there...

That next storm will drop us into the upper 20's, even here in so. tx., today is going to be 70+, has been 60+ lately, too. I've been so tempted to put my t'maters in the ground...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I hope you didn't have any coins or bullion stored out there!

Here's a big heavy 5 oz picture for you
  • Options
    this is in southwestern CT and 3 feet of wet snow on a 60 year old roof can be bad!!! anybody got a roof rake???

the 2 bays on the far left still has the roof intact. my bay was 3rd from the left. i got my car out last night and this morning the roof over my spot came down. the whole building is leaning forward and it creaks every once in a while.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like the last upkeep on that garage was about 60 years ago...sorry about your calamity
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I just spent the last hour shoveling the roof over my garage, and I wouldn't have thought to do it otherwise.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Global Warmingimage >>

Actually, it is the result of global warming. More open water in the Arctic Ocean causes greater instability in the air over that ocean which causes greater instability in the jet stream which allows storms to move much further south over the middle of the country where they pick up Gulf moisture and then swing back north up the east coast.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Actually, it is the result of global warming. More open water in the Arctic Ocean causes greater instability in the air over that ocean which causes greater instability in the jet stream which allows storms to move much further south over the middle of the country where they pick up Gulf moisture and then swing back north up the east coast.

TD >>

Science Shmience!

Anyway I romanticize about small New England towns until I'm reminded of this.
    If I had a frost snow white coin I'd post it believe me.
    Good luck with the restoration.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's 67 here in SoCal today.
    No snow expected this century that I'm aware of.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low pitched roof plus 8 -10+ inches of wet snow = image

Good luck with your claim Kevin.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's 67 here in SoCal today.
    No snow expected this century that I'm aware of. >>

It's 72 here in sunny Central Florida! image

-Paul
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    coinman420,

I would not even think about climbing onto that roof now. Looks to me like the entire garage will need to be torn down. Your car space rent will no doubt be going up in price. Sorry for your problem.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Living in the northeast, you should know to shovel or rake the roof off.

I usually am out after every storm we get doing it. It sucks but i don't want the problem you currently have.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about it. I am dealing with the snow myself. I had some ice damming on the roof, and it was raining in the garage this morning. Spent a few hours up and down a wet ladder, perched on ice, carrying salt and trying to break the ice free. I actually used a pick axe. It seems good for now. We will see what tomorrow brings. Hope your situation works out.

merse

• Options
    I should have listened when Lennon said Instant Karma's gonna get you , i was pretty cute posting the funny mayhem link and doing my daily digging out today the rear window of the lexus shattered , no reason for it , just caved in..gave up the ghost.It must have been frozen solid but ive never seen that happen before.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

TD >>

• Options
    My grandmother was born in a small town in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan. My family went up to visit her sister once, and we noticed that all of the houses had an exterior door on the second floor so they could get out of the house in the winter. The record snowfall for one year in Lake Linden was 30 feet, 5 inches, but 20-25 feet was normal.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knew a guy once in Alaska - helicopter pilot - flew all over the state for 20 years safely. Finally died when the hanger roof collapsed under a heavy snow load.

Glad you're safe!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Low pitched roof plus 8 -10+ inches of wet snow = image

Good luck with your claim Kevin. >>

i don`t own it i rent a house here. the fire dept. taped it off and the owners insurance company will be out soon. the house is an old victorian built in 1886 and the garage must be 60 or 70 years old. it may have been a lack of maintenance on the owners part but i`m a lowly renter so what do i knowimageimage

these pics are from my attic window and show the roof better.

• Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    I glad you weren't hiding any coins in your garage! image

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that smoe sort of community dumpster?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Is that smoe sort of community dumpster? >>

don`t make me show you the housesimage

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...the reason a lot of people end up in Florida, I suppose.

At least no one was hurt, thats the good thing. Old wet wood dosent hold much.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    global warming??? We had almost the same weather in 1925. What a crock.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure there wasn't a gas can nearby that caught fire? image You might want to go CHECK again and make sure the rags IN THE garage that were soaked in gas don't get put in the MAIL.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but seriously, that sucks. Hope it all get resolved quickly and painlessly.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I should have listened when Lennon said Instant Karma's gonna get you , i was pretty cute posting the funny mayhem link and doing my daily digging out today the rear window of the lexus shattered , no reason for it , just caved in..gave up the ghost.It must have been frozen solid but ive never seen that happen before. >>

That's because Lexus = Piece of Junk. At least mine is, absolute pile of festering trash.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    They are predicting up to 25 inches of snow here in Chicago over Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Glad I'm retired.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are predicting up to 25 inches of snow here in Chicago over Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Glad I'm retired. >>

Only 7-10 here in central Ioway over the next couple days too. Glad I am retired/or nearly so as well.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file