Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

While at a coin shop today,

I had a chance to view about 25 morgan dollars in first generation rattler& fat ngc slabs, I know this is not a very broad spectrum but from what I could tell the grading back then was clearly tighter. The ms-65s really looked GEM,and some 63s looked about the same as most of the 64s& some 65s in newer holders. The 65s were the type of coins that raw you would say, yeah thats a gem. Anyway I dont collect morgan dollars but after I left I deceided I wanted to buy one, so I will go back tomorrow.I have always thought that if you you look at a coin in a 65 holder it should say gem to you, and those certainly did.
not an expert,just well informed.

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That about sums it up.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I assume you will pick the best of the litter I expect to see pics!

Good luck!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you. I pick up a rattler or NGC fattie and think the grading standards back then nearly exactly match my own tough standards today. I pick up a lot of coins graded just a few years ago, by both major TPGs, and think "how did that grade happen?" I haven't thought many rattlers were truly overgraded.

However, folks have to be careful, as some sellers today practically scream "it's in a rattler holder, so that's almost a guaranteed upgrade." That is not necessarily true by a long shot, as my own resubmission results will attest. But they want you to pay like an upgrade is in the bag.

With these old holders, you get solidly graded coins (not necessarily all potential upgrades) with very little overgraded dreck. Just keep the holder premiums reasonable.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the nicer coins in these older holders have already been regraded or cracked and resubmitted.

I think the only real advantage to older holders is that the coins are stable. I don't think many are undergraded by standards today or then.

Of course there are always exceptions...coins that have been off the market for decades.
    Lance.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of the nicer coins in these older holders have already been regraded or cracked and resubmitted.

I think the only real advantage to older holders is that the coins are stable. I don't think many are undergraded by standards today or then.

Of course there are always exceptions...coins that have been off the market for decades.
    Lance. >>

I have to agree with Lance here. Unless those were put away for a very long time with no one seeing them, most likely they are accurately graded. I think sometimes we see what we want to see. You never know though, so as was said earlier, pictures are a must!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file