Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1990 1/4 oz British Sovereign....

Don't know jack about non-U.S. coins...whether circulating/collectible, or plain bullion. With that said, a buddy of mine has the mentioned-in-title coin, apparently in the original box, though no actual COA...just a little insert that says 'Sealed at Royal Mint'. With the lack of action on ebay (from the searches I made....unless I missed something), I wouldn't have any idea as to value. I'd imagine you world coin guys know it immediately, so, can someone help me with it's current 'market' value? Or, should I bring this to the PM forum? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I'll come up with something.

Comments

• Options
    Modern Sovereigns are basically just bullion. Here's a link , loads of them on the bay.

ebay
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The traditional bullion content of a traditional gold sovereign is .2354 oz, so not quite a quarter-ounce. Chances are, its bullion value has far outpaced all published catalog values, with gold being so high, so I would figure it as being worth bullion.

Is it a BU or a Proof?

(edited to fix the usual typos)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    lordm....it's a Proof, and yes, I'm aware of it's being shy of a full 1/4 oz.

James, didn't realize I'd have to go to ebay.uk.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned that , oops , i do all my sovereign shopping there. : )
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    They are such beautiful bullion though....image

Becky
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    My edition of Spink is too old to provide an accurate value. In 2008, an 1990 proof sovereign was £280 in FDC, which is still a premium over bullion value today. Note: $1.6 ~ £1.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>My edition of Spink is too old to provide an accurate value. In 2008, an 1990 proof sovereign was £280 in FDC, which is still a premium over bullion value today. Note: $1.6 ~ £1. >>

Worth replacing that book , with gold rising the price is closer to 600 brick