Home U.S. Coin Forum

(Pictures added!) Scored a nice cherrypick, didn't realize it, and almost gave it away!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
I collect Seated dime love tokens by date.

I was going through some random coins I need to sell, and found some love token Seated dimes mixed in with them. The love tokens were supposed to be in my set. I've been sloppy about not putting my newps together with the rest of the set for the last few months, which is why I have no idea currently which ones I have and which ones I need. (Well, I have a vague idea.) This set is currently scattered and in a disorganized mess- I need to consolidate it and update my records.

I found an 1880 Seated dime love token mixed in with the selloff material. A key date! Yeah, the reverse is planed off and re-engraved into a love token, but it's still a key date for a love token set, too! Only 36,000 1880 dimes were struck, and at Philadelphia only.

Now here's the funny part. I found the 1880 in a small box of love tokens- I had bought a lot of about 20 or 30 pieces last year. I figured that somehow the one I had just bought on eBay (and paid strong money for) had ended up with these loose bulk pieces, for which I'd only paid $7.50 apiece. I was gonna flip the leftover bulk pieces to a forum buddy at cost ($7.50/coin), but he passed on 'em.

Today, looking in a different box, I found the 1880 love token I'd bought on eBay.

It's not the same coin. That means...

I have TWO 1880 dime love tokens! The one I bought on eBay, and another, which must have come in the bulk lot!

It looks like I unknowingly got one of them for $7.50, and I almost gave it away at the same price!

Lucky for me, my buddy passed on the offer. (He shall remain nameless but will probably out himself by posting here, haha.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    >>Lucky for me, my buddy passed on the offer. (He shall remain nameless but will probably out himself by posting here, haha.)>>

what a dunce

www.brunkauctions.com

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Ouch!
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    So what is an 1880 love token worth?
    au58,

if a person is doing a date run of seated liberty dimes crafted into love tokens there will be a few key dates:

when a love token is engraved it is usually the reverse that is compromised so any mintmark is lost.......all of the above dates are low mintage, Philly only issues and thus are key dates to find made as a love token

www.brunkauctions.com

but i see i didnt answer your specific question, probably about $100 or so (and i'm the dummy the OP refers to image )

www.brunkauctions.com

• << <i>but i see i didnt answer your specific question, probably about $100 or so (and i'm the dummy the OP refers to image ) >>

He only posted this to make you feel bad.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I would have bought it for $7.50 image
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it, a CU thread about a $7.50 love token?????
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Rob.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and i'm the dummy the OP refers to image >>

That's what I gathered given your quick response slamming the dunce. image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't get it, a CU thread about a $7.50 love token????? >>

Actually it's a CU thread about a $100.00+ love token mixed up in a box with several $7.50 love tokens.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    It's always nice when you get to cherrypick in your own orchard!!
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember another cherrypick you sold off...image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    ah, yes we've all had regrets at some point in this hobby, and LordM is not immune.......whether you are talking about the Ming Medallion or the lone-example CBH variety, it matters not

the truth is that the wealth of this hobby is the pursuit itself and the knowledge gained along the way.......Rob knows this better than anyone i have met......if only Summer Seminar taught a class on THIS, heck Rob could be the instructor!

and for all of his online humility, such as a recent tagline that lampooned himself as a trailer-dwelling Georgia redneck (his own words, mind you) i can think of no one else i would rather spend an afternoon listening to.......and would it sound too much like a Longacre-esque setting if i told you the walls of this trailer in question boast original Whistler etchings??? image

www.brunkauctions.com

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's add some pictures. Thank goodness, I found the original seller's pictures of the one I bought on eBay, because my freehand photography attempts were NOT going well at all tonight. The second one, which must be the cherrypick, you'll recognize by my awful picture.

Seriously, though, I am surprised at how close these two pieces are to each other in grade and eye appeal. So much so that I can't really decide which to keep. Somebody has expressed an interest in taking one of them off my hands, so maybe I'll let him choose which one to make an offer on, and I'll keep the other.

(Note that the second picture is really bad and poorly focused. In hand, both coins are about equal in eye appeal, as I mentioned.)

Can't help but wonder what it was that broke off the ring that is attached to the first coin.

It looks like these both have about XF+ details on the obverse. If they were undamaged XF coins, they'd be worth about $400 each by the current Redbook.

<< <i>I seem to remember another cherrypick you sold off... image >>

OKBC- I'll not likely be forgetting that one anytime soon! Yow! I noticed there's been an update, with a second piece found in 2010!
    But it wasn't a cherrypick until the other guys figured out what it was. I was the cherrypickee instead of
    the cherrypicker that time. Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug, as the saying goes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file