Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

AT or NT?

This newp is a common date coin, just want to know your opinion image

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I'm no expert, but I thought NT too, my only concern is with the "splotchy" spot around the star. Kind of liquidy looking, if that makes sense.
  • Most assuredly, natural!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

• << <i>I'm no expert, but I thought NT too, my only concern is with the "splotchy" spot around the star. Kind of liquidy looking, if that makes sense. >>

It does , i see it too , it's not confined to just the star either.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It's anybody's guess as to what caused that type of toning or when, but I also feel it qualifies as "natural" or an unintentional consequence of whatever storage conditions it was subjected to over the decades. I also find it quite an appealing look!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • It's natural; unless someone might call toning that originated from resting in a coin cabinet or paper envelope
    for forty years or so "artificial".....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT and by the way lovely coin too!
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking piece. I agree with the others that it looks gradual, so is "natural."

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it was dipped and improperly rinsed by the puddle effect around the star.
    Becky
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I see what y'all are talkin' about. There is a sort of "dried liquid" look to that "puddle" around the star. I'd overlooked that initially.

However, couldn't that be caused by some natural process, i.e., condensation or something like that? Dip solution is not the only way moisture can end up on a coin's surfaces, after all.

I'm sticking to my assessment of NT, for the time being.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I thought it could possibly being from condensation, too. Dip residue could also be an answer. The toning does look natural and the color is definitely not suspect.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    70% of the time the difference between AT and NT is the number of submissions. image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    100% natural. The spot in question around the star could have been caused by any number of things, but I have no doubt (based on the photos*) that this coin is NT.

*Why can I never post an opinion without adding that line?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com