Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The North Georgia Collection and my newp

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Charlotte $5 from the North Georgia Collection. It is the second coin that I own from this collection, and I have (knowingly) owned one other in the past. This specialty collection of both Dahlonega and Charlotte gold was put together by a North Georgia businessman in the 1990's and included over 200 coins. Most were sold in the 1999 Heritage FUN sale, but some of the Charlotte coins were pedigreed on the PCGS holder and sold outside the sale by private treaty, including the one pictured below. Since I was not collecting gold coins at that time, I was not present at the lot viewing or the sale. Certainly if there were such an event today, I would be there.

While every coin was not a masterpiece, many of the coins were very original and high-end. These were graded in 1998 and earlier, so coins in the original holders should be stable in appearance and may have been graded by a different standard than that of today.

Over the years, I have come across a couple dozen coins from the collection and have generally been impressed by both the quality and eye appeal such that just knowing a coin is from that collection immediately gets my attention.

Here's a photo of the newp:

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous ODG! I love it!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a looker!!!
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive looking coin - congrats!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a heck of a coin!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin. Congrats! image

Here's a write-up about the North Georgia Collection from Doug Winter's article Ten Great U.S. Coin Auctions and Some Reminiscences

North Georgia Collection, Heritage 1999

With a value well north of $3 million, the North Georgia Collection of Charlotte, Dahlonega and Bechtler coinage is still the largest single deal I have ever been involved with. Along with my partners Han**ck and Harwell of Atlanta, we had numerous difficult decisions to face in the marketing of this collection. Which coins should be sold privately and which should be sold at auction (in a deal which contained over a dozen 1838-D half eagles, this was no easy decision!). Which firm would auction the coins and when? Would the coins be regraded or kept in the original holders?

After a numbers of strategy sessions, we decided to put the coins in the Heritage 1999 FUN auction. This was not an easy decision to make as we were paying interest on a sizable amount of money and had to wait six months for the auction to take place. But in the long run we were happy with our decision.

Looking back at the prices realized in this sale, one can see that in many ways the 1999 FUN sale was the all-time height of the market for most Charlotte and Dahlonega issues, especially high grade pieces. Even factoring in the upgrades that many of the coins in this collection saw in later years, it is still pretty remarkable to look at the levels which they sold for.

When I look back at this sale my memories are bittersweet. The owner of the collection, a truly nice guy named Leon Farmer, passed away soon afterwards and my close friend and business associate Jack Han**ck is dead as well. Every time I pull a Heritage North Georgia catalog down off the library shelf to research a coin, I think of these two wonderful men.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    Midlife:

Thanks for posting that. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    it is definitely a nice coin. i just wonder if the coin is really as orange as the pics
    look? they look like DW pics and almost everything on his site looks more orange
    then it should be. i always wondered idly about that...

gold is mostly yellow after all.

here are a couple pics of the same date/mint...

imageimage
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Looks very eye appealing and original...Not that i know anything about gold but looks like a gorgeous one... image

ABimage
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    WOW!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Robert. I was very close to making a call to Doug the day he posted it onto his website, but I have other things in my sights at the moment.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Here's my other coin from the North Georgia Collection:

i just wonder if the coin is really as orange as the pics
    look? they look like DW pics and almost everything on his site looks more orange
    then it should be. i always wondered idly about that...

It really depends on the lighting, but the coin has reddish and purplish tints, perhaps not as deep as the photo.

dipped gold is mostly yellow after all.

I agree. image
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. Congrats on the NEWP. Someday I will own some branch mint gold, but in the meantime I appreciate you sharing your collection with us. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    That is some nice Charlotte gold!
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin and nice pictures.
  • Options
    Here's what undipped gold looks like....... I think. image

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin RYK. image

Doug is correct. Leon Farmer was a nice guy.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Lakes, that's a very cool Mountain $10.
  • Options
    I really like that, congrats!!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin.

I find myself being more and more drawn to southern gold.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin. It looks like it has a glowing orange color.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I like it.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice lookin coin image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Robert...very nice....
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭