Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just joined PCGS A couple of questions

Hello- I have a few coins that have been sitting in a safety deposit box for thirty years. I have decided to get them graded in order to sell them. One of the coins is an 1886 Type 2 Indian Cent. The information on the free grading says that it does not include variety designations. Will the Type 2 not be noted on the slab? Also- how can I determine the approximate value of my coins for selling? Are the PCGS values set up to be dealer's prices? How accurate are they compared to the real world? Thanks for any help. Dave

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Yes, just use the pcgs number for the coin listed when submitting online. The type 2 is added for free.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye appeal is where it's at. A brown toned MS64 Morgan compared to a red/blue/green
    of the same grade and date is a mile apart in price. ANY guide, PCGS, NGC, etc is just
    that, a guide. Ebay completed auctions and of course any auction house will help with
    values.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS prices are "guidelines" for value. Depending on value,the higher end coins I would search dealers asking prices,major auction hammer prices for an idea of value......Lower end coins ebay auction ended prices are a good guide.
  • Options

My gut tells me that you will have the same experience most newbies have. A majority of your coins will be genuine slabbed, along with wasting your money grading coins that the plastic will add little to no value. You'd be much better off having an experienced Dealer evaluate them prior to wasting your grading fees.
    Hey, we're experts on this board. We didn't get this way without paying a steep tuition from our mistakes. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave the value on the form is how much you feel the coin cost you or loss insurance value. It is what PCGS insures the coin for to send it back to you.
    Just like when you pay the post office the insurance to send it to PCGS.
    It can also set the level of grading fees in some cases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file