Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photography

I am looking for some advice on the art of coin photography. I have no idea where/how to start. Do you need a huge investment in equipment? What kind? I don't cherish the thought of spending big bucks on photography equipment that might otherwise be spent of nice coins, but it would be nice to photograph some of my nicer acquisitions.... Thanks!image
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The search button is your friend,
    lots of information about photography here.

There are books, there are posts, there are occasionally people selling cameras, lenses and copy stands.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy Mark Goodman's book - "Numismatic Photography"...read it...succeed.

I've taken competant photos with my wife's $200 Nikon point and shoot and a $15 copy stand after 3 hours reading through Mark's book. It's all about understanding your camera's capabilities.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a presentation at FUN, entitled "Respectable Coin Photography: Taking Decent Coin Photos without Blowing the Coin Budget on Photo Gear" that addressed this. You do not need to spend big bucks. If you have no photographic equipment, you should be able to get by for about $160 (Canon A495, WalMart tripod, two desk lamps). If you have a digital camera, post what you have and I'll investigate the specs to see if I think it will give good results. As was mentioned, "search" is your friend. Also, post pictures you take as you get started, and you'll get plenty of advice.
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>I did a presentation at FUN, entitled "Respectable Coin Photography: Taking Decent Coin Photos without Blowing the Coin Budget on Photo Gear" that addressed this. You do not need to spend big bucks. If you have no photographic equipment, you should be able to get by for about $160 (Canon A495, WalMart tripod, two desk lamps). If you have a digital camera, post what you have and I'll investigate the specs to see if I think it will give good results. As was mentioned, "search" is your friend. Also, post pictures you take as you get started, and you'll get plenty of advice. >>

How about a Nikon D3000 w/ the stock 18-55 mm VR lens? Sorry to hijack image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a Nikon D3000 w/ the stock 18-55 mm VR lens? Sorry to hijack image >>

It's ok if you have moderate Photoshop skills to crop. For coin photography, really any DSLR body will do. The secret to close, sharp photos is the LENS. Get a decent 150mm or 180mm (even 105 is okay, but not quite as good) Macro lens. (Make sure it says "Macro" - this is important).
    Once you have a decent Macro lens and DSLR camera body, you can experiment with lighting. A copy stand or tripod that can point nearly straight down is pretty important as well, an doesn't have to be expensive.

You can get a good modern DSLR camera body for $300-$500, the lens for about the same, and copy stand or tripod for $50 or so.
  • Options
    D3000 with 18-55 isn't ideal, but it will work assuming there isn't an issue of focus or zoom creep when the lens is pointing straight down. Also, turn VR off when on a tripod or copy stand.

What you buy really depends on what you want to get out of it. If all you want and need are pictures for a website or eBay that aren't embarrassing, then almost anything will work, even a $90 Canon A495 or $100 Nikon Coolpix S3000 (but not a Kodak EasyShare M550).
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you have a camera?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You just need a simple to use camera.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least two good lamps and a close-up lens or camera are all that is required in the area of hardware. Doesn' have to cost a lot of money. There are point and shoot digitals that are capable of good close-ups. I use a $200 kodak with a lens tube that accepts close-up filters, cheap table top tripod, and two desk top gooseneck lamps from home depot:

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>do you have a camera? >>

Yep.... but not one I'd consider to be useful for coin photos...

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    What the heck does Kryptonite use??? He puts up nice pics on ebay.........

Maybe he will see this thread and let us in on his secrets. No offense to other pros but I am familiar with his work!image

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to decide whether to go the SLR/Macro lens route
    or
    point and shoot with macro capabilities

either way you need

a copy stand
    know how to set white balance for your lights
    2 lights
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>point and shoot with macro capabilities >>

Superficial information on macro capabilities of P&S cameras, such as what you'd see on the shelf tag at a store, is very misleading for coin photos. In some cases, you can get better pictures with macro mode turned off.
  • Options
    get a used DSLR - preferably canon because you can tether to your computer and see adjustments instantaneously before hitting the shutter release. Spend your money on the Macro Lens... 100mm plus. I have had great success with used equipment from eBay. All those items are easy to resell if you don't like something too.

I shot this tonight with out any fancy lighting - no juicing. $400 for the canon 40d (came with a useless 35-70mm lens) sniped a 100mm canon macro lens for another $425 - I think new equipment will run over 2k for the above.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How about a Nikon D3000 w/ the stock 18-55 mm VR lens? Sorry to hijack image >>

It's ok if you have moderate Photoshop skills to crop. For coin photography, really any DSLR body will do. The secret to close, sharp photos is the LENS. Get a decent 150mm or 180mm (even 105 is okay, but not quite as good) Macro lens. (Make sure it says "Macro" - this is important).
    Once you have a decent Macro lens and DSLR camera body, you can experiment with lighting. A copy stand or tripod that can point nearly straight down is pretty important as well, an doesn't have to be expensive.

You can get a good modern DSLR camera body for $300-$500, the lens for about the same, and copy stand or tripod for $50 or so. >>

This post just scares me! image

Geeez dsessom!
    Please don't chase away any budding imagers with your $1000 crud!

ModCrewman's images look excellent to my eyes (and it looks like he didn't spend a small fortune on his rig), i'd follow his advice along with a nice dose of what ever Mark Goodman has to say. image

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What the heck does Kryptonite use??? He puts up nice pics on ebay.........

Maybe he will see this thread and let us in on his secrets. No offense to other pros but I am familiar with his work!image >>

Sir Kryptonite has a pretty expensive setup. But, I agree, his photos are excellent!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Kryptonite (Shane) has exactly the same setup I have, except my copy stand is homemade and his is legit. We both have Nikon D5000's with Sigma 150mm Macro lenses. Here's a shot from my setup:

-Paul
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy Mark Goodman's book - "Numismatic Photography"...read it...succeed.

I just bought this from Amazon on your avdvice and the reviews. Hope it helps me shoot with my Cannon G10. I'm hit and miss so far.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file