Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone read the article in CW about Bicentennial Medals?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
In one of the recent issues of CW, there was an article on Bicentennial Medals. I thought it was pretty interesting. Does anyone here collect these? The article implied that there are a lot more varieties out there than have been recorded, because many many towns and cities produced their own medals to commemorate the event. What do people think?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    kahokiakahokia Posts: 140 ✭✭
    I'm a sucker for bicentennial medals. I often buy duplicates when they're cheap, then use those for July 4th give-aways and classroom prizes. When it comes time to get rid of them, I'll probably have to pay someone to haul them off. Still, they're pretty neat.
    We are digging the pit of Babel.
    --Franz Kafka
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of these is just staggering. Many of them are exceedinly common but there
    must be in the neighborhood of 10,000 different issues that can be included here. There
    are a lot that people just don't think of because they appeared almost everywhere. Even
    the US mint got in on it with special tokens (32 mm bronze tokens) for their souvenir mint
    sets. The number of Patrick Mint tokens alone is huge and most of these had mintages of
    1,000. Even some of the low mintage issues have had very high attrition so there will be
    some interesting rarities if half a century as well as a few issues that are completely lost.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file