Home U.S. Coin Forum

A numismatic teaching moment at the homestead yesterday afternoon

As I write these words, I am back at my office, in control of the situation, and surrounded by people who heed Longacre’s wisdom. Yesterday, in contrast, I was stuck working at home because of the snow storm, surrounded by the chief of the homestead (Mrs. L.), who does not view my wisdom with as much regard as my co-workers.

As I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the deferred tax impact in the US was for a sale of stock in an Australian entity, my nine year old daughter entered my office.

She had an 1899 Indian head cent, which I received in change several weeks ago. I don’t recall giving it to her, but perhaps I misplaced it among the stacks of double eagles that litter my bookshelves. She offered it back to me, to which I inquired if she knew how much it was worth.

Sheepishly, she replied that it was a penny. Aghast at this response, I tore myself away from the Internal Revenue Code, and launched into a numismatic teaching moment. First, I grabbed my “grading coins by photographs” book (which is signed by my beloved QDB, by the way), and told her to figure out the grade. We both agreed it was around a F15 or so. Then I gave her a copy of the Redbook (again, signed by QDB), and she looked up the value. The book said around $3 or so.

She was amazed at the coin’s value, and decided not to give it back to me. I was happy to provide a numismatic teaching experience to a young girl, and perhaps get her more interested in the concept that even worn, old cents are worth more than a cent.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Next thing you know, you'll have her spending $22 + postage to have that $3 coin slabbed!

• << <i>I was happy to provide a numismatic teaching experience to a young girl, and perhaps get her more interested in the concept that even worn, old cents are worth more than a cent. >>

Congratulations. Perhaps some day you will be able to convince Mrs. L of the same thing. That is, assuming she is like my wife, who will continue to insist that a cent is worth a cent, a quarter is worth a quarter, no matter how patiently I try to explain why I need to spend $XXX on a particular coin.

merse

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Did that $3 IHC take her net worth over a million dollars? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was happy to provide a numismatic teaching experience to a young girl, and perhaps get her more interested in the concept that even worn, old cents are worth more than a cent. >>

Congratulations. Perhaps some day you will be able to convince Mrs. L of the same thing. That is, assuming she is like my wife, who will continue to insist that a cent is worth a cent, a quarter is worth a quarter, no matter how patiently I try to explain why I need to spend $XXX on a particular coin. >>

Just sell one of those cents, and show her. "See honey, that cent just bought us dinner tonight." May get her off your back a little image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    next day she comes in and says daddy I see you have some $20.00 gold coins just sitting on the book shelves and I will make us rich with the lottery winnings we will win with the tickets I bought with them.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "She was amazed at the coin’s value, and decided not to give it back to me."

Just wait until she asks for the car keys.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tomorrow's lesson, the verbal contract...
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So minions surround you seeking wisdom as you reveal to us that you failed to excoriate your progeny for calling a cent a penny?
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    Sheepishly, she replied that it was a penny.

Awesome. I golf-LOL'd.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So minions surround you seeking wisdom as you reveal to us that you failed to excoriate your progeny for calling a cent a penny? >>

Captain Henway, who normally acts as chief security officer of numismatic terminology (CSNOT) in the Longacre household, was also held up by the snow and didn't make it to work that day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file