Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I was just looking at my Morgan set....

And aside from a 78-cc I got in a junk bin for $12 that I need to upgrade, I only need an 85-CC, 87-O, 88-S, and 89-CC to complete my first album!!

The second album however, has 14 holes... image

Anyone have any advice on where to buy these? I'm not too worried about the non-CC's, but I'm guessing if I'm buying online I should only buy the CC's in slabs....

-Paul

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Shop around eBay, coin shows, major auctions, and perhaps even a coin shop for a nice 1885-CC, preferably in a GSA holder (there is a very low spread between circulated and uncirculated coins). They're everywhere, so be picky with quality and price while you're at it.

For the 1889-CC, get one in a PCGS or NGC holder. Once again, be picky with price and quality since decent circulated examples can be found everywhere. Even low-Uncs aren't that hard to find.

Don't know much about the rest, but I'd say be patient and wait for the right one to come along.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could buy a GSA and crack it out....I'd feel like I was destroying a piece of history! I did notice there wasn't much of a spread on the prices for that date, so I suppose it would be silly of me to spend so much on a coin and get a mediocre one when I could have spent a bit more and gotten an awesome one!

-Paul

Edited to add: Thanks for all of the good advice!!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think I could buy a GSA and crack it out....I'd feel like I was destroying a piece of history! I did notice there wasn't much of a spread on the prices for that date, so I suppose it would be silly of me to spend so much on a coin and get a mediocre one when I could have spent a bit more and gotten an awesome one!

-Paul

Edited to add: Thanks for all of the good advice!! >>

I suppose if you want to avoid the guilt of cracking a GSA slab, you can probably just as easily find a nice one in a NGC or PCGS holder and just simply crack that out. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Chances are if you buy an unc example that is exactly where it probably came from.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>Chances are if you buy an unc example that is exactly where it probably came from. >>

True, but at least I won't feel bad about it! image

-Paul
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Agreed! You should be able to find a nice example at just about any reputible BM shop. Just be very picky and you will find the one you want.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed! You should be able to find a nice example at just about any reputible BM shop. Just be very picky and you will find the one you want. >>

Yup. I should be having a pretty good sum of money coming to me from a car accident a year ago (I got rear ended). I might just use some of that money to complete the first half of the set! image

-Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file