Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are mint products going to be like plate blocks in the philatelic world....pretty but worthless?

Are mint products going to be like plate blocks in the philatelic world....pretty but worthless?

It just seems like the mint is producing everything under the sun. The next thing we're going to hear is that they're issuing a coin to celebrate boy scouts or President's wives. Geeze.

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    99% yes.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Top Pop coins will have collectors value, all other coins will have face/melt value.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • So, if you sent in a top pop coin, how likely is it that it will come back in the same top pop holder?

<< <i>So, if you sent in a top pop coin, how likely is it that it will come back in the same top pop holder? >>

Hello... there is no such thing as a top pop holder - there's first strike holders, Lance Armstrong holders, Breast Cancer holders, etc., but no top pop holders. Was that a trick question? image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are mint products going to be like plate blocks in the philatelic world....pretty but worthless? >>

No. They won't be pretty.
    Lance.
  • If they kept the mintages low they could probably avoid the philatelic phate...er, fate. But by low I mean world coin low, say 1k-5k. To me the common commem silver dollars of the last 30ish years, for example, go in the rolls with the junk morgans if they have even the least sign of handling on them (say pr67). That's pretty much equivalent to plateblock status now, no? Melt the coins, lick the stamps sort of thing. If the Mt. Rushmore dollar had a mintage of 2000 then even a coin with my initials scratched into Taft's head would attract lots of interest at a no-reserve auction.
  • The mint has issued coins celebrating breast cancer and Lance Armstrong? Lance Armstrong has had breast cancer? Man, that guy has such bad luck! First it's down there, now up there? He better start going to church.

<< <i>The mint has issued coins celebrating breast cancer and Lance Armstrong? Lance Armstrong has had breast cancer? Man, that guy has such bad luck! First it's down there, now up there? He better start going to church. >>

No silly goose... PCGS has issued slabs with Lance Armstrong's signature (and Jessica Lynch) and slabs with breast cancer inserts.
  • Who is Jessica Lynch?

<< <i>Who is Jessica Lynch? >>

Having fought in three wars... I can't say what I want to say! image
  • Jessica Dawn Lynch (born April 26, 1983) is a former Private First Class (PFC) in the United States Army Quartermaster Corps. Lynch served in Iraq during the 2003 invasion by U.S. and allied forces. On March 23, 2003 she was injured and captured by Iraqi forces but was recovered on April 1 by U.S. Special Operations Forces, with the incident subsequently receiving considerable news coverage. Lynch's was the first successful rescue of an American POW since World War II and the first ever of a woman.[1]

Initial media reports on Lynch's recovery in Iraq were incorrect. Lynch, along with major media outlets, fault the U.S. government for creating the story as part of the Pentagon's propaganda effort.[2][3][4][5] Jim Wilkinson is credited for fabricating the government narrative.[6]

On April 24, 2007 she testified in front of Congress that she had never fired her weapon; her M16 rifle jammed, as did all weapons systems assigned to her unit, and she had been knocked unconscious when her vehicle crashed.[3]

Soon after her rescue, Pentagon officials disputed a report appearing in the Washington Post that Lynch had fought back, and the first official report of Lynch's actions during her capture released by the Pentagon weeks later said that she did not appear to have fought back against her captors, in contradiction of earlier Pentagon press releases (it was later learned that the heroics initially attributed to Lynch had actually been performed by another soldier, Donald Walters, who was killed during the attack[23]). According to one former Pentagon official, the stories of her supposed heroics that day were spread by the news media and Congressmen from West Virginia were instrumental in pushing the Pentagon to award her honors based on reports of her actions during her capture.[24][25]

Months after returning, Lynch finally began speaking to the public. Her statements tended to be sharply critical of the original story that was reported by the Washington Post. When asked about her heroine status, "That wasn't me. I'm not about to take credit for something I didn't do ... I'm just a survivor."[26]

Despite the letters of support she received after her testimony before a House oversight committee, Lynch says that she still gets hate mail from Americans who accuse her of making up the heroic acts attributed to her.[27] "I was captured, but then I was OK and I didn't go down fighting. OK, so what?" she says. "It was really hard to convince people that I didn't have to do any of that. That I was injured, that I still needed comfort."[28]

She denied the claims that she fought until being wounded, reporting that her weapon jammed immediately, and that she could not have done anything anyway. Interviewed by Diane Sawyer, Lynch claimed, concerning the Pentagon: "They used me to symbolize all this stuff. It's wrong. I don't know why they filmed [my rescue] or why they say these things."[29] She also stated "I did not shoot, not a round, nothing. I went down praying to my knees. And that's the last I remember." She reported being treated very well in Iraq, and that one person in the hospital even sang to her to help her feel at home.

Controversy also arose regarding the varying treatment and media coverage of Lynch and Shoshana Johnson, an African-American soldier captured in the same ambush as Lynch, but rescued later. Critics, including Rev. Jesse Jackson, said that Johnson's race was a major reason that Johnson received little media attention and a smaller disability pension as compared to Lynch. Other criticism has focused on the ignoring of other members in her unit, such as Lori Piestewa, who had picked up Lynch when her vehicle broke down and was later mortally wounded by gunfire. Male prisoners in her unit received scant media coverage. Lynch always spoke with great respect for her fellow soldiers, especially the ones who were killed in the incident. Lynch had been best friends with Piestewa and at her homecoming gave this tribute:

• Sounds like her coin might be an error coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file