Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the negative effect of the hockey puck frenzy?

If you look at open to buy money being hypothetically set, what do you all feel the negative effect of the current hockey puck buying frenzy will have on other coin values?
I know you all have seen this just as I have. These are going for way more than they should be on Ebay and other sites. This kind of premium has to negatively effect other coins that are now gaining less attention from potential buyers and therefor dropping their value on the open market. Do you think it will effect silver or gold coins more? Will this effect bullion coins or all coins?

I would love to hear some opinions on this.
Jay

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No effect on anything other than new Mint bullion. It might make buyers more cautious...and some more eager to jump in early.

Forgive me for being callous but I don't consider hockey puck buyers collectors.

It will have absolutely no effect on traditional collectibles.
    Lance.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I don't see the ATB Hockey Pucks having a negative effect on coins. I suspect they're only being purchased by flippers and speculators... only those that buy-and-sell bullion. Obviously no coin collectors on the U.S. Coin Forum bought any. What true coin collector would have bought these... maybe this question should be posted of the PM forum? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Forgive me for being callous but I don't consider hockey puck buyers collectors.

It will have absolutely no effect on traditional collectibles.<<<

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    It may bring new collectors into the market though.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I wont buy em, but If someone wants to slam a few pucks my

way, then I will use them for paper weights.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No effect on anything other than new Mint bullion. It might make buyers more cautious...and some more eager to jump in early.

Forgive me for being callous but I don't consider hockey puck buyers collectors.

It will have absolutely no effect on traditional collectibles.
    Lance. >>

Ed
  • The hobby has seen this movie before. Several U. S. Mint issues from the last five years have been moon shots as far as rapid price appreciation. The three-coin gold and silver eagle anniversary sets, the gold buffalos, to name two that went up and stayed far above issue price. Some folks profited, some broke even, some lost money. As long as the losers limited their losses to "hobby money," I don't see much negative effect. Anyone foolish enough to put more than hobby money or speculative money into these, played the game and lost, and I don't feel much sympathy for them.

Yes, TV sellers and some others sell some of this stuff for outlandish prices, but that happens with virtually anything they think they can hawk, modern or classic, bullion, or clad, or copper, or paper even. Fools tend to lose money and would have likely lost their money on some other promoted item, instead of the new issues.

Some posit that all this activity in modern issues subtracts from the money available for classic coins. There is an case to be made, but I'm not sure of this conclusion, because many flippers take their profits and spend it on classic coins. A good many final purchasers of the new issues have little interest in classic coins and would never have spent their money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file