Home U.S. Coin Forum

Error Coin Thoughts... with pictures 1943 Triple Struck Copper Cent

I know all odds are against me but this is the closest piece I have seen that has a shot at being genuine. I have had this coin for a long time. Tell me your thoughts and concerns.

I sent this in under economy because I didn't want to spend a bunch on the error service. I thought that if it had a shot that PCGS would grade it for what it was. I know I can be a cheapo but I have 4 kids and I am not trying to waste money on a hope or a hunch.

Well here are the pictures, so please fire away! image

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    You have the coin in hand... what do you think PCGS thought was questionable - the composition? it was cut-and-layered from multiple coins? someone made a fantasy die since it's illegal to own a 1943 triple struck copper cent and they didn't add 'COPY' to this coin? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You have the coin in hand... what do you think PCGS thought was questionable - the composition? it was cut-and-layered from multiple coins? someone made a fantasy die since it's illegal to own a 1943 triple struck copper cent and they didn't add 'COPY' to this coin? image >>

I don't know? I hadn't thought that it could be a made from a fantasy die. hmmm
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The details are too soft to have actually been made during a mint striking process. So my HO is it is a counterfeit.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    It was triple struck, so the details are going to be flat. I respect your opinion though. PCGS didn't come out and say it was fake, just said questionable authenticity.

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it started out as a real coin or not but the doubling looks like it might have been faked with a soft die.

Ed
    So you think that someone made this with a real 1943 die?

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was triple struck, so the details are going to be flat. I respect your opinion though. PCGS didn't come out and say it was fake, just said questionable authenticity. >>

PCGS never comes out and says "counterfeit" even on obvious Chinese fakes.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody used a 1943 steel cent, which is relatively hard, to make a false set of dies from. He then took a bronze cent, removed the date, and overstruck it with the false dies. The intent was to counterfeit a 1943 bronze cent. His aim wasn't too good.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So you think that someone made this with a real 1943 die? >>

A soft die isn't real. It's made by putting a real coin in a vice between 2 pieces of softer metal.

Edit... Vise image

Ed
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "3" in the date looks bizarre..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>The "3" in the date looks bizarre.. >>

there is a die crack that runs through the 3 in the date....

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It was triple struck, so the details are going to be flat. I respect your opinion though. PCGS didn't come out and say it was fake, just said questionable authenticity. >>

PCGS never comes out and says "counterfeit" even on obvious Chinese fakes.

-Paul >>

That's what I was thinking. Doesn't it always come back as "Questionable Authenticity"?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP, do you really think this coin is authentic? I'd be hard pressed to even imagine it slabbing in any TPG holder..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭
    This coin is a great example of what a counterfeit "soft die" double/multiple strike looks like. It turns out that the real intent was to counterfeit a 1943 cent. I'm glad it says 1943 so someone else cannot be easily fooled into thinking it is actually an error coin.
    Yes, honestly I thought it had a shot. Was worth the try IMHO. When you have it in hand it is definetely interesting!

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    In the grading room, you had a COD (Coin of the Day) where everyone gathers round after someone says, "You gotta see this!"

I think it's one heck of a conversation piece and like what others have said, was not spawned inside the mint.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
    You really think so? I have already had offers to buy.... don't exactly know how to price the darned thing of if I really even want to sell it.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the grading room, you had a COD (Coin of the Day) where everyone gathers round after someone says, "You gotta see this!"

I think it's one heck of a conversation piece and like what others have said, was not spawned inside the mint. >>

I agree, quite a conversation piece but not real. If you wanted to sell it, I would put it on ebay with all the same pictures (including the BB) and start it at a buck.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • It's an obvious 100% fake piece.

The wavy fields indicate it was die struck from relatively soft dies and the obverse is severely over-polished --- which indicate it was done to remove poor field/device delineation.

Look at the reverse, the O in ONE is weak but the shoulder on the obverse is strong. That in itself is a dead giveaway of a fake.

Interesting piece but no way is it even close to being real.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yours isn't a one of a kind as I saw another just like it raw on EBay in 05 or 06 with a BIN ask over $15K.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Did it ever sell?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did it ever sell? >>

No and thinking back it was listed at a start of $15K BIN of $16-17K.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • The date looks to be altered to me

<< <i>

<< <i>In the grading room, you had a COD (Coin of the Day) where everyone gathers round after someone says, "You gotta see this!"

I think it's one heck of a conversation piece and like what others have said, was not spawned inside the mint. >>

I agree, quite a conversation piece but not real. If you wanted to sell it, I would put it on ebay with all the same pictures (including the BB) and start it at a buck. >>

Well I just tried that and after 2 days....it was pulled.. something about that I need to put it in the replica/reproduction category. image

• Seen those before - totally fake. You can immediately tell by the 4 and the 3 in the date - not even close. Even if it was authentic, it is so damaged, it wouldn't be worth much... oh well.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file