Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kennedy Half Dollars - 1982 Hair Part on a 1983 coin or vice versus? Anyone find one?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
I notice the hair is parted differently on the 1964-1982 coins from the 1983-1990.

Has anyone ever found the "other" hair part on a transition year coin? i.e. found the 1982 hair part on a 1983 coin, or vice versus?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    now you're just splitting hairs

www.brunkauctions.com

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    That sounds somewhat interesting. Care to show us the two hub types?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

• << <i>now you're just splitting hairs >>

not really. image

But if you really want to "spit hairs", how about the 1964 DDO-031 image

My dad picks this one up at the A.N.A. show in Boston last Aug from James Sego, it fits nicely in my showcase set image
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That sounds somewhat interesting. Care to show us the two hub types? >>

There was definitely a hub change in 1983-86 compared to earlier 1981-82 coins. The later coins display much less hair detail and the lettering on obverse is further from the rim.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    There was also a humongous change in 1991 (spaghetti hair)
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

<< <i>There was also a humongous change in 1991 (spaghetti hair) >>

Yep, there have been many hub changes but I was just addressing the OP's question.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

the difference in the part is most noticable under the "E" in Liberty.

1982D from Coin Facts in MS66

1983D from Coin Facts in MS66
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>There was also a humongous change in 1991 (spaghetti hair) >>

1991D from Coin Facts in MS65

<< <i>

There was definitely a hub change in 1983-86 compared to earlier 1981-82 coins. The later coins display much less hair detail and the lettering on obverse is further from the rim. >>

How did the hub change from 86 to 90?

and for that matter, the years between 64 and 80?
    The change in the LIBERTY/rim distance is rather obvious. Interesting that this was also done with the pennies and nickels in the 1982 timeframe also. What can our modern gurus tell us about the dimes and quarters with regards to 1982 era hub changes?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the date was part of the hub, I doubt you'd find a transitional "wrong hair" variety.
    Answering my own question, I checked the Breen Encyclopedia and he notes a hub change for dimes in 1981 and for quarters in 1983.

Messydesk: there can be multiple hubs used in one year, so there may be the two types. Consider the 1982 large date and small date Lincolns for such an example.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

<< <i>

<< <i>

There was definitely a hub change in 1983-86 compared to earlier 1981-82 coins. The later coins display much less hair detail and the lettering on obverse is further from the rim. >>

How did the hub change from 86 to 90?

and for that matter, the years between 64 and 80? >>

I found this online, Mike Locke's 20th century design hub changes. I have no idea how accurate it is but he clearly put a lot of work into it. Some interesting information. From the link below, under Site Links click on the 'US 20th century coin hub changes.'

Mike Locke's 20th century design hub changes
  • There was a minor hair change made in mid 1971 and some master hub doubling introduced. The hair was restored in 1973.
    In 1964 there was a small wisp of hair that went on top of the right leg of R in LIBERTY. By 1971, it was not clear that the wisp was on top of the R, but it certainly merged with it. In 1971 the wisp was cut off and there was a gap to the leg of R. This was continued in 1972, but the gap was gone in 1973. By the 1990's that hair no longer merged with the R. By then the emphasized part in the hair was just what Mrs. Kennedy did not want in 1964.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Messydesk: there can be multiple hubs used in one year, so there may be the two types. Consider the 1982 large date and small date Lincolns for such an example. >>

True. I was thinking of the probability that an undiscovered 1982-date hub of the new hair design would be found after 29 years. Doubtful, but stranger things have happened, I suppose.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since the date was part of the hub, I doubt you'd find a transitional "wrong hair" variety. >>

What he said......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's the master hubs or what getting changed but in moderns times there
    are numerous little design changes to both dies in most years. These can be extremely
    subtle or quite gross. It's not unusual to find mismatches between the obverse and re-
    verse dies. Technically these would be considered mules. There are also different dies
    used for a few moderns though some of these may be little more than hubbing varieties
    rather than actually different hubs being used.

It's a good idea to keep a reference set if you want to collect these coins. Unfortunately
    I don't have access to my Kennedy set right now so can't comment much on the specific
    date. I haven't noticed as many changes in the Kennedy reverses, or the obverses for
    that matter.

Tempus fugit.
    Well, after getting the "eBay bucks expiring reminder" on top of this thread, I finally bought Rick Tomaska's book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file