Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question on a 1970 Sm. Date Mint Set

I was looking at some stuff today and found an 1970 mint set marked Small Date. In looking at the S cent I noticed it was very weakly struck, especially the bottom half of the MM. Liberty was also weakly struck. Is this common to the Small Date "S" cent?

Also, there is no "P" mint marked Nickel in the set. Does anyone know why. It's not missing, there is not one in the set.

R$on
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Philadelphia did not mint the nickel in 1970, only D & S.

Can't help you on the weak strike issue though, sorry.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the 70-S small date is known for having a weak LIBERTY, it starts stronger and gets weaker near the ERTY.

The best way to verify it's a small date (in my opinion) is look at the inside curl of the 9, if it's pointed it's a definite small date. If it's blunt it's a large date.
    Ed
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, the 70-S small date is known for having a weak LIBERTY, it starts stronger and gets weaker near the ERTY.

The best way to verify it's a small date (in my opinion) is look at the inside curl of the 9, if it's pointed it's a definite small date. If it's blunt it's a large date. >>

What he said. If you try to determine if the 7 is low or level, you'll go crazy in the process.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was looking at some stuff today and found an 1970 mint set marked Small Date. In looking at the S cent I noticed it was very weakly struck, especially the bottom half of the MM. Liberty was also weakly struck. Is this common to the Small Date "S" cent?

Also, there is no "P" mint marked Nickel in the set. Does anyone know why. It's not missing, there is not one in the set.

R$on >>

...this should help clear things up, ron. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    70 - S you can't decribe it more in tech terms, you got it mushy Liberty. Nice find.
    D.A. Priest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file