Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATED in First Post--eBay Feedback Help Please-I give up, Ebay won't help me

RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
A buyer filed a claim against me saying he got an empty package and demanded a refund. Well, the package was insured and it was near impossible for anyone to tamper with it without evidence showing. So, I told the buyer since he had the package, he needed to file the claim with the USPS but he refused and said I should just refund him. I would have been happy to file the claim for him, but he would not photo or send the package back to me and the USPS wants to see that stuff.

So, to make a long story short, he filed a claim, Paypal held my funds, eBay decided in my favor, because after 8 days, the buyer never responded and I showed proof of insurance and delivery. So, the buyer left me a neg.

Will eBay remove this one since the buyer used it is retalitory?

No, they will not remove it. I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with them. They said "sorry". It does not fall under their feedback removal policy. eBay sux.

UPDATE HERE AS OF A FEW MINUTES AGO: Turns out the buyer filed an appeal and was refunded the money by eBay/Paypal, but suposedly, I am not responsible to reimburse those funds (we'll see). Now, my concern is that the buyer was refunded by eBay, will still file a claim, and has the coin. I don't know if I have a way to see if a claim has been filed or not with the USPS. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Thanks, Richard.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mystical_science&ftab=AllFeedback

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Do eBay chat... they should remove the neg.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    MAYBE........Best to communicate what's going with ebay..Looks like you have a good record and covered all the bases,so it looks "good".....Buyer not cooperating would get me thinking buyer is not truthful.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You are hosed. Sorry. It has happend with me and another member of this board. The item showed delivered and he claimed he never got it. Files a claim with eBay and they find in my favor. So he calls me a liar and accuses me of fraud and gives me a neg. I called eBay and they said they would not remove it.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buyer, ddicus is now blocked. thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have heard of people getting them removed. Call ebay.

You can also reply to that neg.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will eBay remove this one since the buyer used it is retalitory? >>

Nope.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    It seems to be luck of the draw in who you get at ebay to deal with matters.I was negged a year ago because the buyer told me he could not make a profit on it after recieving it , it was like 3 weeks later he demanded 33% refund or i'd be negged.
    All of this was in my ebay messages and they said they were hard on feedback extortion , what a load of guff , they got permission to look at my messages folder and determined there was nothing to validate removing the neg.

It was right there in black and white !
  • Options

I feel your pain......been there....hopefully Russ will chime in, he knows better then anyone IMO how to handle these ebay issues...he has helped me in the past!
  • Options
    So, will this affect my ability to sell on eBay and bring "fair" prices since this is recent?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry it happened. Blocked.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>....Buyer not cooperating would get me thinking buyer is not truthful. >>

Exactly my point. The buyer lied to me and eBay. He does not want to file a USPS claim, becausehe knows he is full of it. Now, had he said he did not like the coin, he could have sent it back for a refund. Instead, he chose to lie about everything and try to rip me off. If he was telling the truth, he would have responded to the case rather than waiting more than a week for me to escalate it and have eBay find in my favor.

• Options

<< <i>So, will this affect my ability to sell on eBay and bring "fair" prices since this is recent? >>

Looking at your feeback, and your reply to the neg, I wouldn't hesitate to bid on your items. Every seller eventually meets the buyer from hell and seasoned buyers know this.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I have heard of people getting them removed. Call ebay.

You can also reply to that neg.

Steve >>

Don't reply to that neg until you work it through with eBay.

Edited to add: I see I'm too late. eBay likes to see one level-headed party in a transaction. If you waited to reply to the neg until after they made a decision, you would have had more leverage.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Well, I have been on the phone with them for an hour and the guy told me he won't remove it because it does not fall within their guidelines. Yet, he agrees eBay's feedback policy is not fair.

• Options
    Yeah, gotta try...call ebay. Sorry to hear about this. Blocked.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>I would have been happy to file the claim for him, but he would not photo or send the package back to me and the USPS wants to see that stuff. >>

In the event a buyer claims something is missing from the package, DO NOT have him mail the package back to you. From the USPS website:

2.0 Providing Proof of Loss or Damage
    2.1 Missing Contents
    If a claim is filed because some or all of the contents are missing, the addressee must retain the mailing container, including wrapping, packaging, and any contents that were received, and must, upon written request by the USPS, make them available to the local Post Office for inspection, retention, and disposition in accordance with the claims decision. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would have been happy to file the claim for him, but he would not photo or send the package back to me and the USPS wants to see that stuff. >>

In the event a buyer claims something is missing from the package, DO NOT have him mail the package back to you. From the USPS website:

2.0 Providing Proof of Loss or Damage
    2.1 Missing Contents
    If a claim is filed because some or all of the contents are missing, the addressee must retain the mailing container, including wrapping, packaging, and any contents that were received, and must, upon written request by the USPS, make them available to the local Post Office for inspection, retention, and disposition in accordance with the claims decision. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim. >>

Well, there you go, I could nothave done it anyway. I provided the insurance number and delivery confirmation number, yet I get negged. Great. Gotta love eBay.

• Options
    I feel your pain. I am dealing with my first Ebay selling issue. I just waited for 45 minutes to speak to an Ebay rep!
    I feel Ebay and paypal are weighted way to far to the buyers side. I am a buyer also, but I can not believe some of the things these buyers try to pull.
    Jay
  • Options
    I would love to see an external site where you can leave buyers and sellers feedback. Something you can search. Well, there are some obvious problems with such a system, but I'm just brainstorming.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would love to see an external site where you can leave buyers and sellers feedback. Something you can search. Well, there are some obvious problems with such a system, but I'm just brainstorming. >>

Now that's a dam good idea. image
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to see an external site where you can leave buyers and sellers feedback. Something you can search. Well, there are some obvious problems with such a system, but I'm just brainstorming. >>

Feedbay?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this will work, but at one point perhaps seven years ago I received feedback that I thought should not be in my profile and I asked ebay to remove the feedback. They refused, but told me that if I left followup feedback that contained personal information of the person who left the initial feedback that they would remove the entire string of feedback. I didn't do it. By the way, the feedback left for me was positive, but all the person did was list his own website to sell coins.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Looking at his feedback he appears to be a decent ebayer. With that said maybe it would have been
    better to have told him no problem. I insured it and I will file the claim. Please send me the packaging and anything relevant.
    Once I receive it I will refund. By telling him he had to file the claim you may have rubbed him the wrong way.

It is quite possible that he did receive an empty package. (not saying you sent an empty package)

Think how you would feel if you were in his shoes?

Insurance protects the seller IIRC.

Just another way of looking at this.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Souds like ebay should remove the feedback for you. I once sold a coin and the buyer did not pay in 7 days after I billed him couple times, so I filed a no pay claim to get my ebay fee back. He left me neg. I called ebay and they removed it for me.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at his feedback he appears to be a decent ebayer. With that said maybe it would have been
    better to have told him no problem. I insured it and I will file the claim. Please send me the packaging and anything relevant.
    Once I receive it I will refund. By telling him he had to file the claim you may have rubbed him the wrong way.

It is quite possible that he did receive an empty package. (not saying you sent an empty package)

Steve >>

Well, if the packkage was broken USPS will send the package back to the sender.
  • Options
    It's over, move on. It happens to all good sellers sooner or later. Its a cost of doing business with total strangers.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Huh?

The buyer has the package.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Insurance protects the seller IIRC. >>

Not if the buyer sends the damaged package back to the seller, it doesn't- at least, according to posted USPS policy, that is.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at his feedback he appears to be a decent ebayer. With that said maybe it would have been

Steve >>

Buyers can't get negative or neutral feedback, so every buyer looks great.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Add him to your favorite sellers list, if he ever lists a thing, buy it and do the same thing.

I had the same thing happen to me, I refunded the $10, and moved on, for the money it was not worth the hassle. i did block the person. here is my block list:

1bigfisherman, aria1405, authentic_coins, azestatesales, clarence4176, ddicus, ddon53, disc2tech, essgee, gurallah, levand2005, lindaandsam443, longhornproud1962, maven_bidder, mellonpatch4, mitchsmithcoin1976, mjbake1, mr.bullion, murphyaln, prjppparks0wk9, sleepingbear101010, stoystown13, usnfleet, verta5953, zenboard, 36966964@deleted, 36967257@deleted

I would appreciate others sharing their block list.
  • Options

Steve >>

Steve, if you read several message up, you will see someone posted the regulations about this. I CAN NOT file a claim for the buyer since he has the package.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another sad tale by an ebay seller that gets fleeced by their stupid feedback policy.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I had a buyer open a claim on me for not providing a refund and he left 2 negative feedbacks. Come to find out I wasn't even the seller as he had purchased two coins from me and two coins from another seller. He over paid on the shipping so I provided a $4.00 refund through paypal which made him think I was the other guy not providing a full refund. Even though I could prove it and he agreed he was in error, Ebay would not remove the feedback and I still had a file claim strike against me with Paypal. I stopped trying to make sense of their rules and policies long ago.....image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

Steve >>

I agree with that perspective, the negative was not reasonable of course as the buyer may of been covered by USPS insurance if he choose to cooperate. image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay feedback policy was officially rendered completely useless when they discontinued the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback. It is completely one sided now to completely favor the buyer and Ebay doesn't really give a crap when a neg is left. The ONLY remotely good thing about the whole situation is that you can now respond to negative feedback.
    The reason Ebay slanted the feedback policy to greatly benefit the buyer, is to reduce scammers. (Sellers listing items, taking the money and never delivering the item) Unfortunately, scammers have learned how to exploit the Ebay/Paypal system to "reverse scam" - that is; to buy an item, keep the item when it arrives, and then demand a refund for whatever reason (pick a reason, any reason will do). Paypal will usually decide for the buyer and issue the refund, leaving the legit seller with no item and no payment - effectively stealing... and Ebay rules and Paypal policies are set up to allow this! It didn't take scammers long to learn how to exploit this system.

And... This is why I rarely sell anything on Ebay anymore (well, aside from the 20% or so chunk Ebay/Paypal ends up with when all is said and done).

/RANT
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry for you, but I didn't think they'd remove it.

at least you tried.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not good when they dont help out the seller in this case. im glad i dont sell there at all and very very limited buying
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of proves the facility of USPS insurance too. I think that for items under $200.00 insurance from them is useless. In the long run if your sending about a hundred or so packages per year your better off self insuring ( put a equal amount in a coffee can and see where you end up) and sending with just Delivery Confirmation. And if a case like this comes up just telling the buyer to return the package to you for a refund.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I smell class-action lawsuit for Ebay on this issue. When their policies don't permit legitimate removal of malicious feedback in the face of all evidence speaking in favor of the wronged party, that's abusive, unfair, and self-serving.

I haven't sold anything on Ebay, but everything I read tells me these neg's impact the fees sellers must pay, and by refusing to acknowledge sellers have been maliciously treated or wrongly left undeserved feedback in cases such as this, and it can be shown the seller did everything corectly, while the buyer appears to be gaming or scamming the system, I think Ebay is setting itself up for some significant litigation.

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    that was your first neg. The next one won't be so painful. Happens to the best of us.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Buyers can't get negative or neutral feedback, so every buyer looks great. >>

....But sellers can leave a positive WITH a short narrative that articulates a problem.....

" + Terrible buyer.....don't trust" (or something like that)

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

....But sellers can leave a positive WITH a short narrative that articulates a problem.....

" + Terrible buyer.....don't trust" (or something like that) >>

That does not do any good in my opinion, because all the positives build up and no one can isolate those types of comments to read them. The buyer gets nothing from me. He screwed me and tried to rip off the USPS. I hope he sleeps well at night.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Sorry, but no. That's called a "soft positive" and Ebay will remove it if reported. Sellers can only give positive feedback, or none at all.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

And then the comment is removed and the seller gets slapped with a policy violation.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't sold anything on Ebay, but everything I read tells me these neg's impact the fees sellers must pay >>

Negs have no impact on the fees a seller pays. Only 1's and 2's on DSRs are used in calculating discounts. There are sellers all over eBay who've piled up tons of negs and are still getting the maximum 20%. Of course, there are also sellers all over eBay who have very few negs and are not getting the 20%.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>I do not know if this will work, but at one point perhaps seven years ago I received feedback that I thought should not be in my profile and I asked ebay to remove the feedback. They refused, but told me that if I left followup feedback that contained personal information of the person who left the initial feedback that they would remove the entire string of feedback. I didn't do it. By the way, the feedback left for me was positive, but all the person did was list his own website to sell coins. >>

I like Tom's suggestion. Maybe a reply that says "beware of any buyer who lives at XXXX" (give his address).

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Tom's suggestion won't work. In the old days, eBay's ability was limited to removing an entire exchange. Now they have the ability to remove only the followup, while leaving the original comment.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

.....Sorry, but no. That's called a "soft positive" and Ebay will remove it if reported. Sellers can only give positive feedback, or none at all.

......And then the comment is removed and the seller gets slapped with a policy violation.

>>

I did not know that....good info....( have never done that, BTW )

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    been through this too, ebay's stance is that one negative doesnt hurt you much, (thier words) if one mark doesnt mean anything, then obviously none of them do.... which is the way you have to look at it. do what you can, and do your best, but remember, no matter what you do there is always going to be someone that is unhappy, somewhere down the line, it is disheartening when ebay will not even consider that the negative you received is not your fault, bottom line is that they dont give a $h!T and after you receive a few of them, you wont either. just try not to allow that to degrade your ethics.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    I don't know about the rest of you. But when there is a problem and you paid for the insurance you should file the claim. I haven't had a problem in my grand total of 2 claims. both were packages not delivered. the infamous "steal me tags" I quit putting steal me tags on packages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file