Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many collectors of world coins are there for every collector of US coins?

How many collectors of world coins are there for every collector of US coins? Just looking for opinions here.

Comments

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I collect both
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I go both ways too! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fifty years ago it was probably close to three US to one foreign.

Ten years ago it was two to one.

Now it's probably about one to one but a large percentage of world coin collectors are newbies.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Does the question ask how many US collectors of world coins or the world in general ? The answer would seem obvious if the latter.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since this is the US coin forum your results might be skewed. Post the same question on the World & Ancient Coins Forum and see what their response is.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Does the question ask how many US collectors of world coins or the world in general ? The answer would seem obvious if the latter. >>

Good question.....the world in general. How many people in the world collect world coins as compared to collectors of US coins. If a person collects both, consider them a collector of world coins.
  • Options

<< <i>since this is the US coin forum your results might be skewed. Post the same question on the World & Ancient Coins Forum and see what their response is. >>

Good suggestion...I will do that.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the entire world, I would guess 25 to one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 576 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a collection of World coins going on as well as US coins. I have some World ProofMint sets with a smattering of circulated older coins thrown in. This is all consistent with my collection's strategy..."See it, Like it, Get it."
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    There's certainly many more World coin collectors then US coin collectors.

However US coins tend to bring in the bigger money. This could be due to reasons like:
    Investors
    Grade/price Inflation, Slabification (I mean paying huge premiums for +1 point on a slab, when in reality there might not be much of a difference between that coin and the next coin down).
    The lack of coins - due to the fact that the date of US coins only goes back a couple of hundred years.
    etc..

Don't get me wrong, some World coins like Chinese and Russian, to some extend British have been gaining huge momentum.

I do like US coins, but you can buy much more rarity, history etc for your money in World coins.

Take for instance this coin:

1799 George III, gilt, proof farting. Current value probably £400-£500 ($635-$795).

I don't think you could find an equivalent US coin for that price.

Hus
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have collected both for many years. That is a very nice 1890H Half and a very pretty farthing.

I'll go with 1 to 1 ratio. I don't believe foreign economies can come close to supporting the quantity of coin collectors in this country. All countries together might match up.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many more world collectors...at least 20 to 1.

I collect both.

Love this monster of a coin...

imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the ratio would be 3.14159.

Maybe you should define "collector" first.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone wants a piece of the pie. That 16 is a monster!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am one who collects both.World coins are awesome and rich with history.

This coin is lustrous and mark free in hand and deserving of a higher grade imo. Tough date too....

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file