Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Pickup 1937 Roanoke Island // Guess Grade?

Well, what do you think?

This will likely be part of my next submission, depending on your feedback.

Thanks for the help.
--- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---

Comments

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice original tab toning, Roanokes run to high grades, I'll say 66.

Edit: the hit on the cheek might drop it a grade. As has been discussed commem grading is inconsistent.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    nice coin ! i say ms66
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Make that three in a row for the same MS66 grade guess.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the colors a lot. These tend to toned nicely. This may get whacked for the hits on hull of the first ship on the reverse and below Raleighs eye and collar/shoulder area......Very attractive coin. 65ish? MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the luster under that toning? If it's above average, I'll go 66. Otherwise, looks like a nice 65.

65 is what imediately came to mind.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

• << <i>How is the luster under that toning? If it's above average, I'll go 66. Otherwise, looks like a nice 65.

65 is what imediately came to mind. >>

In hand the coin has ~average luster but the color really pops when you till the coin, sadly that is very hard to capture in photos(for me). I am happy most people are leaning towards 66 from the photos as the coin looks much better in hand.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65/66. If the luster is full and booming, then 66.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How is the luster under that toning? If it's above average, I'll go 66. Otherwise, looks like a nice 65.

65 is what immediately came to mind. >>

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking PCGS 65
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize you have had several MS66 guesses thus far, but I think the luster is too subdued for that grade and will go MS65.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the series. 'Liberty' doesn't look uniform. 'T' is distorted? Nice coin! 64?
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TomB nailed my thoughts. My first impression was I like the toning but luster looks muted. I realize luster is not always easy to capture in photos. In any event, nice pick-up -- thanks for sharing.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• MS66

Let me know if you want to sell. image

TRUTH
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65...overall pretty clean but there is a nice hit on the cheek below the eye and on the eyebrow on the obverse, with several on the skirt and ships on the reverse. I like the toning and it is a nice coin!

K
    ANA LM
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, you guys are pretty good with that. its all good
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I see rim dings, AU58 for me.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see rim dings, AU58 for me. >>

You do?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I would grade it "How Much?"

• << <i>I would grade it "How Much?" >>

As in how much did I pay or how much do I want for it? image
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Yours looks like MS62. A lot of hits, but looks very nice.

Here is mine. Your reminds me a lot of mine. Its a PCGS MS66: No noticeable hits. There are 2 hairlines that can be seen when tiltign the coin accross Raleigh's nose. If this is a MS66 the coin in the OP is not close to a MS66.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 61/62 crowd

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to the hit on the cheek, left boat and skirt and my first instinct was 63, but I'll go with 64.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I think its a 66------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • I'll guess the average of the first 10 grades, dropping off the highest and lowest grades, and to make Llafoe happy, I will state that I am very confident that my guess will be correct.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say that's a nice 65.

It's an attractive coin with a few hits on the obverse (more on the reverse dress and ship), and it's tough to see luster bands (although that depends on the lighting in the photo). Attractive, original toning like that could bump it to a 65+ (or low-end 66 on a good day, since the obverse hits are less obvious due to the toning), IMO.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, I go with 65
  • Due to the chatter on the high points of the skirt, the lack of features on the baby's face and the above mentionted nicks and dings -

I'll go MS-64 and hope I'm low. Beautiful coin.

Ron

Edited to add: The Roanoke, like the Elgin and Columbia, the skirt is the first place to show hits.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • I thought 65 when i saw it.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a nice original tab toned example. image

Based on the images presented, I put it in the 64/5 range.

• 64 at best. if the coin posted above is a 66 the OP coin is at least 2 grades lower. Probably a 63. I have given up trying to predict what grades Commems get though since it seems to be the most inconsistently graded series of all. Strike is pretty much ignored and it seems color bumps the grades way up when it should have no effect at all. Both are nice coins though.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of what the grade is, I think its worth 66 money for that Rowin' Oke all day longimage------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice to me except for the patchiness of the toning around Raleigh's face. I'm not always a big fan of tab toning, personally. I like symmetry. This coin is definitely not bad looking, though, even to me.

Now the one that jmj3esq posted- THAT one I love.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file