Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this eBay listing suspicious?

I was watching this pretty bust dime in NGC MS65. This is an expensive coin, ending at 4am EST with no reserve, and only a 7-day auction. Does the seller display poor marketing and timing or is this a scam or hijacked account?

The bidding history seems odd to me, the format of the bidders ID is identical (letter or number, then 3 asterisks, ending in a letter).

My guess is that the reserve was $5k and the next bidder would have made it...

Thoughtss?

Dan

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    The format of the bidders ID is ebay's doing, bidders ID is anonymous except to the seller, I think.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing to indicate it is not legitimate.

duplicate bidder names appear consecutively when someone else makes a bid but fails to top the last bidders higher bid. duplicate bidder's hidden, higher bid is getting bumped up by other bidders.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "(letter or number, then 3 asterisks, ending in a letter)."

This is ebay's way of hiding bidder's identities (just check any other ebay auction).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>The format of the bidders ID is ebay's doing, bidders ID is anonymous except to the seller, I think. >>

Ok, that makes sense. I haven't used eBay in about 4 years so this must be a relatively new occurrence. That being the case, the cert number seems to fit the grade and the pictures are not suspicious. It seems legitimate on those terms.

imageimage
  • Options
    The progessively higher bids by same bidder can also happen when a bidder keeps raising his bid trying to hit the reserve.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next bid would have been $4950.

Also there is no knowing that the reserve was $5000
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that the reserve was $5k and the next bidder would have made it... >>

I can tell you with certainty the reserve was higher than $5000.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file