Home U.S. Coin Forum

Milk Spots Question

How do you safely remove milk spots from silver coins?

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Keep them away from the cereal bowl during breakfast?

Did i win? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • I'd be happy with knowing how to prevent them. To answer your question, I don't think their is a way.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removal? don't think it can be safely done.
    Prevention before spotting? I've heard that an acetone dip followed by distilled water rinse and hair dryer drying will prevent fromation of spots. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in and verify it does prevent spotting.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• There are video's on youtube about taking them off with a soft pencil eraser.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are video's on youtube about taking them off with a soft pencil eraser. >>

<gasp>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>There are video's on youtube about taking them off with a soft pencil eraser. >>

<gasp> >>

lol.....I haven't ever tried this. But I did see a removal of a huge milk spot on a silver Maple Leaf......<gasp> image
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua regia works well.
  • I've also heard that Holy Water can be very effective.image
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    At one time PCGS was offering a $50,000 "reward" for verifiable proof of a solution for milk spots on silver eagles. That's some eraser. image

Edit to add:

Do a search on "Milk spots". There have been a number of threads on the topic over the past number of years.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    one form of milk spots is silver chloride

which is formed from salt water mist on coin

the removal depends on whether it is actually etched into the coin or still on the surface/thin layer

very similar to PVC contamination

prevention/removal of minor spotting would include swabbing/soaking in ammonia solution and then neutralizing
    and then preventing from exposure to humidity/air that may include NaCl

? aluminum foil wrap ? air tight container ? sealed jar with dessicant ?

PCGS offers many things, but I have never seen them follow-through with rewards or prizes (at least not publicized)
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS offers many things, but I have never seen them follow-through with rewards or prizes (at least not publicized) >>

Check out this link from a thread in 2007. Milk Spot thread

The story about the $50,000 being offered for a solution to the milk spot problem was in Coinworld so I assume it's been publicized.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...YIKES!!!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS offers many things, but I have never seen them follow-through with rewards or prizes (at least not publicized) >>

Check out this link from a thread in 2007. Milk Spot thread

The story about the $50,000 being offered for a solution to the milk spot problem was in Coinworld so I assume it's been publicized. >>

...i wonder if the 'sniffer' machine can be tweaked for this problem image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you safely remove milk spots from silver coins? >>

currently, there is no solution.

get it? solution? liquid solution to remove them as a solution?
    ok forget it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>How do you safely remove milk spots from silver coins? >>

currently, there is no solution.

get it? solution? liquid solution to remove them as a solution?
    ok forget it. >>

...image.......image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file