Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1865-S 50c with many cuds on reverse..anything special here?

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Somewhere, at sometime I read these early coins that exhibit so many cuds are scarce and command a good premium.

Anybody have any info on these?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I can't tell you anything about it other than the fact that I like it!
  • Options
    With most older coins the cuds and cracks show which dies where used. Im sure someone will come along and tell you the die and rarity.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow, awesome coin!! Some nice big cuds by "ICA" in America and "U" in United, and also some even larger retained cuds below Half Dol. Really a very cool coin that I would certainly pay a premium for!!

-Paul
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin. I'd like it even without all the cracks n' cuds.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin. Bill Bugert's new book lists your half as the WB-7 with the latest die state "d". Listed as a Rarity-5 in this state.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool coin. Bill Bugert's new book lists your half as the WB-7 with the latest die state "d". Listed as a Rarity-5 in this state. >>

What Batman23 said. Definitely a cool coin, and a higher grade than a VG I sold in virtually an identical die state. If it is for sale, please contact me.

The cud on 1865-S halves that is super-rare is this one with 2 rim cuds:

So far, this one is unique. If you find another, please contact me. I would at least want to get pics of it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file