Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

General questions about World Coins

Being new to the darkside, I'd like to ask a couple questions related to World Coins:

#1 - Do World Coins tend to be more "Genuine" than US Coins... meaning, would more (most) World Coins be placed in "Genuine" holders? Do World Coins tend to be cleaned more than US Coins? I've noticed a lot of the raw World Coins on eBay appear cleaned.

#2 - Are most collectors of World Coins "raw coin" collectors? Are more of the older (19th century and earlier) coins in holders, than 20th/21st coins (and Ancients)?

#3 - Any other significant differences between World Coin collectors vs. US Coin collectors?

Edited to add: Who grades World Coins tighter?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Being new to the darkside, I'd like to ask a couple questions related to World Coins:

#1 - Do World Coins tend to be more "Genuine" than US Coins... meaning, would more (most) World Coins be placed in "Genuine" holders? Do World Coins tend to be cleaned more than US Coins? I've noticed a lot of the raw World Coins on eBay appear cleaned.

In my own experience World coins are and have been counterfeited as much as US , i can't comment on who cleans most , it seems commen everywhere.

#2 - Are most collectors of World Coins "raw coin" collectors? Are more of the older (19th century and earlier) coins in holders, than 20th/21st coins (and Ancients)?

Yes , at least where i'm from , serious collectors balk at the idea of slabbing a coin.In the UK few coins get slabbed , collectors often have custom built cabinets.

#3 - Any other significant differences between World Coin collectors vs. US Coin collectors?

I don't think so.Other than US collectors tend to slab just about any coin.

Edited to add: Who grades World Coins tighter? >>

Ive heard Australia but i don't know for sure , the US system seems pretty tight.

My own experience won't cover nearly everybodies it's just one opinion from a UK collector based in the US.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    "World coins" is a huge category. You might want to narrow it down a bit. I would hazard to guess that people who collect non-US coins tend to be less interested in slabs but i do sense that is starting to change.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>"World coins" is a huge category. You might want to narrow it down a bit. I would hazard to guess that people who collect non-US coins tend to be less interested in slabs but i do sense that is starting to change. >>

I'm collecting Papal States...
  • Options
    That's awfully specific. You might broaden your horizons a little. image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That's awfully specific. You might broaden your horizons a little. image >>

A type set consists of 3,500 coins covering a 1,200 year span... that's too specific? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's awfully specific. You might broaden your horizons a little. image >>

A type set consists of 3,500 coins covering a 1,200 year span... that's too specific? image >>

Cool indeed. It's gotten to the point where I am not so sure I want to collect in a field where I might be in danger of completing a set. I never want it to end.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The questions are very general, so my answers will be too.

1) No. Maybe the stuff you are seeing on eBay are coins brought home after a vacation or military stint and have been "played with" by the kids or unknowing family member. Lots of "drawer cleaning" sellers on eBay selling world coins.

2) I would say yes, but it's now hard to buy any coin, US or non-US, from US auction houses that are not slabbed. Many dealers slab the better stuff as well. Personally, I tend to slab my proofs.

3) Now that's a loaded question! Let's see, we're smarter, more curious, more well-read, we don't have to consult colored sheets before making a purchase, we tend to speak at least one language other than English, we realize there is much more history than the last 225 years, and we often buy from non-US sources. And that's just for starters.... image

As for grading, I think it's about the same as for US coins.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    You will find a lot less griping, complaining, and other bits of negativity on the world forum than on the US forum. It's gotten so bad there that I don't even regularly check it anymore. (This has happened before, and it got better...worse now though).
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    first - welcome

In general, I think World collectors tend to be a little more driven by historical significance and design.

While World collectors are concerned about the condition of coins and their appearance, I don't think that concern translates into having slabs. Slabs are important for certain coins in various grades and I see the trend toward having coins graded. In some ways this is not bad because at some point those that have been saying coin x is bloody rare, they may ultimately be right

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I'm a relative newbie to darkside too, about two years, but I can tell you that it's a much calmer atmosphere over here. People don't seem to stress the small stuff as much.

Cleanings are common on both sides, but also to be expected with older coins. Draw your own lines on what you will accept.

You may have to put away the slab thing, as a huge portion of world coins have never been considered for submission to a tpg, but are still great coins. Most reputable world dealers will unquestionably guarantee authenticity or money back. Stick with the reputable dealers and you'll probably be just fine.

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I would say that a lot of world coins have been cleaned, but far less have been 'doctored', at least from my own experiences. I don't know if cleaning was considered acceptable to a later date than in the US and Canada, or not.

Many, but by no means all, are raw coins collectors. In some contexts, such as Chinese Imperial struck dollars, holdered coins bring far more than raw, perhaps due to fears of counterfeits.

--Bjorn