Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Box of Twenty, Exonumia version!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I had an Exonumia Box of Twenty it might look something like this group of some personal favorites from my collection. I no longer own a couple of these and it is indeed regrettable that we can't keep everything forever, isn't it?? I've intentionally left out holders and grades since they only get in the way. Enjoy and welcome!!

Al H.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful, especially the Virginia City Centennial!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • Options
    hey Tom, you should recognize one of them!!image
  • Options
    Vety impressive display. One question, Norse Medal, Thick or Thin?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    thin.
  • Options

<< <i>thin. >>

Now it's more impressive.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Crystal Palace piece is breathtaking. Even moreso than some of those awesome cathedral medals I've seen people posting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool - especially like the Norse-American piece. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Excellent post. The first time I saw that Daalder I stole the pic for my desktop.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful.

I was sure a couple of those would be there. image

I like aluminum more all the time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just great stuff.
    Awesome collection.

That Century of Progress medal fascinates me.

Still own it?

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff especially that 1825 Erie canal medal!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. What's with the obese beaver gnawing on the palm tree?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are a few of many that I'm sinfully proud of:

Sorry Al. C..A....N..N....O....T_____R....E..S.....I...S...T________image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Can you tell something about the Brian Boru piece? I've never seen that, and
    I don't know what it is.

The modern Ireland coins feature the Brian Boru harp, which is on the reverse
    of your piece also. But I can't make out the Gaelic words, so I don't know what
    it all means.

Thanks,
    Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    The HK-390 obverse legend translates from Celtic as "Brian Boru, High King of Ireland".

The reverse legend translates as "One Crown for the People of Ireland in America"

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, ANOTHER sweet Crystal Palace.

I gotta ask- what's the pricerange on those?

That could really grease the skids and slip me even deeper into exonumic purgatory. (I've already got one foot on the slippery slope, with my love token collection.)

Something like that I would be tempted to own, even if it didn't fit in with my collections. That's a stand-alone sort of piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    I only have a Norse medal of all these posted, but there are all of my favorites in there plus some new ones! That Brian Boru is awesome,never seen one before!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful pieces of art.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful! I especially like the matte look of the gold Hudson SCD.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't he in The Lord Of The Rings image

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Damn, ANOTHER sweet Crystal Palace.

I gotta ask- what's the pricerange on those?

That could really grease the skids and slip me even deeper into exonumic purgatory. (I've already got one foot on the slippery slope, with my love token collection.)

Something like that I would be tempted to own, even if it didn't fit in with my collections. That's a stand-alone sort of piece. >>

The Type 1 Crystal Palace Dollar, HK-6 is essentially on par with the Industry and Science Crystal Palace HK-8. An Unc. HK-8 hammered on eBay this week at L155 - that's 155 British pounds ~ $255 U.S. I was the underbidder. The 63 mm Industry and Science medal (oversize version of HK-8), also made in Sydenham by Pinches, when accompanied by the original brass shell case can easily bring $350 U.S. An Unc example hammered on eBay this week as well (same seller as above) at L205 ~ $345 U.S.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool stuff image
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be aware that the Crystal Palace dollars come in a huge range of quality. The two posted so far in this thread are at the nicer end of the range. keets's example shows cloudy surfaces, and coindeuce's example shows hairlining, but neither of them seem to show any signs of tinpest or other oxidation. Even oxidized ones are bringing $100-ish on eBay.

They tend to have clouding and/or hairlines even when they come with the original boxes.

This one is the nicest that I've found. Same specimen with different lighting (neither picture is really quite right):

imageimage
    imageimage

NGC has slabbed one as MS 63, and one as MS 63 PL, with none higher in either designation. This example is unslabbed.

HK-6 is *much* rarer than HK-8, and coindeuce's example of HK-6 is about as nice as I've seen. This is mine, with a touch of oxidation near the edges:

imageimage

Here's a mystery piece: HK-6 design, but in gilt bronze:

imageimage

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be aware that the Crystal Palace dollars come in a huge range of quality. The two posted so far in this thread are at the nicer end of the range. keets's example shows cloudy surfaces, and coindeuce's example shows hairlining, but neither of them seem to show any signs of tinpest or other oxidation. Even oxidized ones are bringing $100-ish on eBay.

They tend to have clouding and/or hairlines even when they come with the original boxes.

NGC has slabbed one as MS 63, and one as MS 63 PL, with none higher in either designation. >>

Here's the MS63PL but NGC left the PL off the label, however it's viewable when doing a cert verification on their site.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    thanks for the kind words everyone.

though i came upon medals rather late i still managed to acquire some better examples before this latest 10 year upswing gathered much steam. competition for choice quality can be fierce and i find that far too many collectors are more knowledgeable than me. image i keep at it, though. the reason that some of the posted examples are no longer in my collection is due partly to changing preferences on my part and the economic downturn of the past two years; i had to sell the bulk of my best holdings to keep from living under a bridge. lately i seem to be drawn to copper and coppered-bronze pieces though i still enjoy the look of white metal. most of all i really just enjoy the designs and the persons/places/events being paid tribute. what a great Hobby.
  • Options
    Keets, What a great set of medals! I dont collect these but I really enjoyed viewing them. Some fabulous designs. Thanks for taking the time to post them.image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing some of these in previous threads and recall the thread about your visit to Monticello a few years ago. These are mighty cool and I have always enjoyed threads on this type of material. Some of the pieces you have listed are extraordinary.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are all really nice, what can I say.....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file