Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

reholder question

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got several coins that I plan to get reholdered at the ANA. It's nearby, so I'll save on shipping. Some PCGS, some NGC.
ATS they say that all reholders are reviewed for grade, does this also happen here at PCGS ? And would they really change a grade
on a coin that's sent in for reholdering ? Wouldn't they rather have the coin resubmitted and charge you for the service ?
I'm just curious if anyone here has had a reholder submission come back regraded, here or at NGC.

Comments

• Options
    On extremely rare occasions, a coin which is submitted simply for re-holdering, ends up being graded lower, and the submitter being compensated, accordingly. It is not a normal occurrence, by any means, and re-holders are not re-graded in the normal sense.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember a higher up from PCGS or NGC even upgrading a coin that was in for reholder. If it was PCGS, Im sure Don W. will let us know.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a poor man's upgrade!!! image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Check with PCGS whether they will be doing actual grading/ holdering on site at the ANA in Sacramento. PCGS usually does not do on site grading at the spring ANA conventions.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it interesting, that I cannot find anything about this issue on the PCGS site, or on the NGC site? I always thought a simple reholder only meant exactly that, no possible change of grade. Things must have changed recently with the two grading services.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Check with PCGS whether they will be doing actual grading/ holdering on site at the ANA in Sacramento. PCGS usually does not do on site grading at the spring ANA conventions. >>

According to their show schedule, they will be grading there:

"ANA National Money Show 03/17/2011
    03/19/2011 Sacramento Convention Center   Sacramento   CA   United States of America  

On-site grading will be offered! Show submissions will be accepted through Friday. All other service level submissions will end late morning/early afternoon Saturday. PCGS Representatives will be able to answer questions, accept submissions (excluding Bulk), and provide specific hours for submission cutoff times. For further details, please check with a PCGS Representative at the booth."
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it interesting, that I cannot find anything about this issue on the PCGS site, or on the NGC site? I always thought a simple reholder only meant exactly that, no possible change of grade. Things must have changed recently with the two grading services. >>

I think you are right, NGC's site used to say that all reholders are reviewed for grade. Doesn't say that now.
    They do offer apperance review, for free, for coins that might be overgraded.
    I've got one or two that I'm curious to see if they'd consider sliding back a grade or two...
  • Options
    Regrading is getting the service of an expert's opinion. I doubt they'll just casually give that away. I suspect the mentioned occasions in which a reholdered coin is re-graded and bought back were when someone there noticed a frank deficit such as evidence of coin doctoring that was not seen the first time. They jumped in not to be nice but to protect the reputation of the PCGS or NGC holder.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file