Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone purchased one of these from Daniel Carr? 2010 20 Trade Dollars Silver Satin Indian Chief

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was speaking to him and the mintage was only 62 pieces.
They look really coolimage
How many of us here picked one up before they sold out?

You were right Constantine!! I fixed the titleimage
Thanks for the correction

Comments

• Options
    I got one ...........

and I can tell you it took quite some time (relatively speaking ) for them all to sell off his website ................

pretty powerful coin.........
  • Options

<< <i>I got one ...........

and I can tell you it took quite some time (relatively speaking ) for them all to sell off his website ................

pretty powerful coin......... >>

I just saw them about a month ago, I wonder why they were for sale so long......it's a great looking coin!I'm glad
    I got mine before they sold out
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    I purchased one too and it was a Trade Dollar like you pictured. But just for clarity, I believe they are not Ameros as you wrote in your title, but Trade Dollars.

Edited to add: I just checked his site and they are not sold out. But yes, only 62 minted and I find the design incredible!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A handsome piece of work!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I purchased one too and it was a Trade Dollar like you pictured. But just for clarity, I believe they are not Ameros as you wrote in your title, but Trade Dollars.

Edited to add: I just checked his site and they are not sold out. But yes, only 62 minted and I find the design incredible! >>

You are absolutely right, thanks for the correction.
    Small mintage for a killer designimage
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one from Jump Street. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "Jump Street?"

Yes, I bought a couple and the design is awesome. The obverse is the best I have ever seen.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one imagines enough one can make that Indian look a little like Brent Favre; especially the mouth.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    They still have some, I just bought one 5 minutes ago. I saw this post and really liked the coin and with a mintage of only 62 at some point I would like to think the value would go up. Actually I am still trying to swallow the fact that I just paid $130 shipped for 1 oz of silver. image
  • Options
    I don't buy numismatic junky fakes.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't numismatic junky fakes. >>

I guess everyone has their own thing. this is more art than anything else. So what do you collect? Clad state quarters? image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

And what's that got to do with this thread? Move on. --jerry
  • Options

<< <i>And what's that got to do with this thread? Move on. --jerry >>

imageimage
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is "Jump Street?" >>

Urban saying---------slang term referring to the very beginning of any sequence or time frame.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Got mine about a month ago, and their a KILLER design, very talented engraver, GOOD JOB DC
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I bought the Ameros version and really liked it.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is "Jump Street?" >>

Urban saying---------slang term referring to the very beginning of any sequence or time frame. MJ >>

Was the initial selling price the same as now?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i bought two sets of the 2010 brass NA Trade Dollars.

i'll get some copper.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor grammar, apparently.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ......seems like most of the sales were to board members here ...........

I'm thinking a whole new demand was created for D.Carr's "coins" by posts here ........

It's perplexing as to why such a majestic coin with a Native American so boldly portrayed would not sell out overnight at 62 minted - but is has been for sale for over a month ..........

I'm gonna go order a second one image
  • Options
    ....got it !

my second one !!

how can a mintage of 62 on something so desirable last ??
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

<< <i>......seems like most of the sales were to board members here ...........

I'm thinking a whole new demand was created for D.Carr's "coins" by posts here ........

It's perplexing as to why such a majestic coin with a Native American so boldly portrayed would not sell out overnight at 62 minted - but is has been for sale for over a month ..........

I'm gonna go order a second one image >>

Well as a proud owner of this coin, and one who truly appreciates the beauty in it..........I will be the first to say that $125 + $5 shipping = $130 is a fair chunk of change. So that price nearly wiped out my desire to purchase the coin. But there was something about that headdress encompassing the full obverse of the coin that is incredibly beautiful so I could not resist.
  • Options
    I think I read where he cut short the mintage on the 2010 versions and will begin on making the 2011 " Chiefs"

...the scar across his left eye is what drew me in ..........,

what do you see in the Chiefs eyes ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    havent bought one of them yet but still own eight percent of the mintage of these...

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I think I read where he cut short the mintage on the 2010 versions and will begin on making the 2011 " Chiefs"

...the scar across his left eye is what drew me in ..........,

what do you see in the Chiefs eyes ? >>

Dollar signs , overpriced bullion in my own opinion , i do understand why some might like them though....i guess
  • Options

.......in this image , his wounded eye stares hauntingly right thru the heart of the viewer ,
    while the other eye looks off into the distance , as if saying
    " What in God's name happened to my people " ..........
  • Options

<< <i>

I guess everyone has their own thing. this is more art than anything else. So what do you collect? Clad state quarters? image >>

Well since you asked;

I have the complete state quarters from unc. mint sets, along with proofs and silver proofs. Complete Franklin half set, MS65+, with several that were attributed with FBL(Full Bell Lines) and proofs, complete Kennedy halves from 64 to present, both clads, and silver proofs along with examples taken from unc. mint sets, same with Jeffersons(clads only), Lincolns(this should go without saying), and Roosevelts. Complete proof set run from 1950 - present, I also have Peace dollars MS62-MS65, and just recently acquired a small set of Morgans, in PCGS and NGC slabs that are now in 2x2s; plus the proof and unc. Presidential dollars, Sac dollars, Ike dollars, SBA dollars, not to mention 1 proof and 1 unc. ASE from 86 - present with the exception of 2009 when no proof ASEs were produced, would you like me to include the collection I inherited from my grandfather? It's quite extensive.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great detail!
  • Options
    ......just ordered a third one .........
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to be visiting Dan with two friends when this die pairing was first struck. I thought you might like to see a few pictures.

The dies used to strike these Trade Dollars:

Dan holding the first copper trial strike:

Close ups of the first copper trial strike:

Close ups of the second copper trial strike:

Getting ready to strike my silver medal (The 4th struck in a total mintage of 62):
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Tremendous photos USAROK, great stuff. The more I see of Dan Carr's coin art the more excited I get about it, it's exquisite.
  • Options
    very cool ! those are the hands of a hard working man .........

those dies are in the rust bucket now - right ?

..if there's any left of the 62 tomorrow , I'm thinking of buying another image
  • Options
    I bought one and it most definately is a piece of art.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file