Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Possible Italian error coin

I was wondering about this Italian centesimo - the last two digits of the date seem to trail off. Is this just a repunched or poorly punched date? Are there any sort of premiums for this sort of error in Italian coins of the period? I have checked around online but couldn't find much... thanks for any help anyone can give!

--Bjorn

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Probably just a filled die. Unfortunately, I can't imagine much premium.

Here's a filled die on a US cent - the only error I've ever pulled from circ:

And here's another Italian 1c with a flaw, this time a cud - she's looking right at it image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Looks like a filled die.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... that would account for the faintness, but would the die punches of the numbers in the date cause the slanting effect, where the date seems to slant towards the end?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, for a one cent coin, that 1914 is absolutely breathtaking. I knew of it but the picture in Krause does not do it justice. The artistry is worthy of a blow up to poster size!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies on this one - I think I'll just chalk it up to poor number punching for the date and a grease filled die!