Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here have old Unc. Rolls of Indian cent or barber coinage??

Would love to see some pictures or hear what others have. image

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be watching this thread.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    With the grading game being the way it is, I would be very shocked.

How long have rolls been being used?

An old timer I have dealt with always laughs when they talk about BU Morgan Rolls, because "that's not how they came. They came in bags!"

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know when 'traditional rolls' first appeared, but ~3 mo's ago, I saw a blazing group of 1909 VDB cents and 1913 TI buffalo's in one of our monthly show dealer's cases. I had to ask about them, and he said they had come from original rolls from an estate he purchased, where some long ago deceased relative had been a banker and had put these away. I do not know when they were actually put into 'rolls', but I do not doubt that is how this particular dealer acquired them. And if there are some ~100 yr old unc rolls (maybe we should say 'original groups' since the roll thing is so debatable) around, there could be other denominations from roughly this time period, but probably not many.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see late date Indian cent original rolls appear. They were still easily available into the 1960's. I think many collectors would be surprised at what is in some "old money" hoards.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last ones (IHCs) I saw were about 10 years ago. Stack's used to have several rolls of Buffaloes for sale each year, I can't testify to originality, but it was in the past few years. I have an original roll (not OBW, I transferred them to a tube 20 years ago) of 1941 lincolns.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    My dream and subsequent nightmare would be to find a BU roll of 01-s Quarters.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, didnt Charmy buy an Indian roll not long ago.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone here have old Unc. Rolls of Indian cent or barber coinage?? >>

I think I might, somewhere in the bottom of the closet beneath the bags of double eagles and the keg full of Red UNC Draped Bust and Fugio cents. I'll have to rummage around.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Walkerguy- you are right I think about using the term original group to describe coins like this. I have this roll of 1902 Indian cents. And have seen several 1938-D Buffalo nickel rolls. Once I bought a group of 1911 Barber dimes that was pretty cool. Hoping others will post some pics of cool rolls.

• Options

<< <i>Hmmm, didnt Charmy buy an Indian roll not long ago. >>

I know she bought a mixed group of BU coins- that now reside in my collection. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmmm, didnt Charmy buy an Indian roll not long ago. >>

I know she bought a mixed group of BU coins- that now reside in my collection. image >>

You little dog youimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering when Mike was going to fess up! image

I bought them in Boston and posted them on my Boston show thread....

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering when Mike was going to fess up! image

I bought them in Boston and posted them on my Boston show thread....] >>

I thought it was you Charmy! I guess my memory is still pretty goodimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    I had an original roll of 1937 Buffalo's I bought from a dealer/long time collector. Was offered 4x what I paid and sold them, never seeing the contents. The roll is still intact and I might be able to get a picture.
  • Options

<< <i>I had an original roll of 1937 Buffalo's I bought from a dealer/long time collector. Was offered 4x what I paid and sold them, never seeing the contents. The roll is still intact and I might be able to get a picture. >>

That would be great to see!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My dream and subsequent nightmare would be to find a BU roll of 01-s Quarters. >>

Dennis ... I'd be your newest Best Friend !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering when Mike was going to fess up! image

Thanks Charmy! That sure is a cool picture!

I bought them in Boston and posted them on my Boston show thread....

image >>

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had an original roll of 1937 Buffalo's I bought from a dealer/long time collector. Was offered 4x what I paid and sold them, never seeing the contents. The roll is still intact and I might be able to get a picture. >>

I want to see this. Please try to get a pic.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a roll of 1892 Columbian Halves. Unfortunatelly, there were no digital cameras for pictures in 1981 when I sold them. They were very pretty coins. I traded for several VG-VF 1885 Nickels that I sold months ago. Bought some gold and sat on it about a month too long. Or so it seems. Getting old I guess. Still sitting on it.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know from a fellow collector that was then a coin dealer, back ca. 1980 he saw an original roll of 20 1847 Hawaiian cents - unfortunately they had been in Hawaii the whole time and were corroded very badly.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another phone pic of charmy's roll.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there were unc roll sets of Barbers put away early last century, there's a good chance a BU roll of 1901-s quarters still exists intact.

A friend of mine is aware of someone holding 2 BU rolls of 1889-cc dollars. So neat stuff is still out there.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody here ever see Bill Mertes's 40 piece roll of 1878 $3 gold pieces? They were mounted in about an 8" square of white Capital plastic in individual circular holders so they could just slide about. That was back in the 60s. Something cool to look at even then. I doubt if it is intact today. I think Bill died a few years ago in his 90s. A nice guy and very fair dealer. I bought my Mexican 50 Peso from him for under $60. Sorry to ramble, a little OT.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a roll of 1909 IHC's last year.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I had a BU roll of 1910 Lincoln cents a few years ago. I sold them off 1 at a time. I sent a few to be grades and got 5 or 6 ms-66 coins and 7or 8 ms-65 coin from the lot. Have only 2 ms-66 coins left.
    John
  • Options

<< <i>I saw a roll of 1909 IHC's last year. >>

Tell us about them! Original paper roll or in a tube? Did you see any of the coins? Were they for sale? The asking price?
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody here ever see Bill Mertes's 40 piece roll of 1878 $3 gold pieces? They were mounted in about an 8" square of white Capital plastic in individual circular holders so they could just slide about. That was back in the 60s. Something cool to look at even then. I doubt if it is intact today. I think Bill died a few years ago in his 90s. A nice guy and very fair dealer. I bought my Mexican 50 Peso from him for under $60. Sorry to ramble, a little OT. >>

That's just to cool to even think such a roll existed! I hope the right collector got them and they are still together as a group.
  • Options
    imagei saw that roll of three dollar gold many times. it was great. i still have three rolls of buffalo nickels.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a red roll of 09 VDB cents I just had graded by PCGS, these coins were sold to me 20 years ago as a roll wrapped in aluminum foil and stayed red.
    Also a roll of 09 Indians, just certified by PCGS, almost all are red, MS 62-66, handled by a few dealers through the years and bought from Bowers and Merena around 1989

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Wow! Really cool roll of Indians! Do you feel the roll has lost some of it's aura and special-ness by being slabbed? I know financially it's the smart move. A dealer in copper told me the last roll he has seen of bu Indian cents was an 1895 that went for a $100,000 and that common rolls from the 1900's sell for 30K! Another forum member contacted me a while back and told me about a bu roll he bought several years ago and that it was still intact.

Edited to correct my numbers after I reread that pm.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an original red roll of 1899 Indian Cents that I sold in 1973.
  • Options

<< <i>I had an original red roll of 1899 Indian Cents that I sold in 1973. >>

I bet you wish you still had it.image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I saw this and got interested

ebay 330383915333

but I think it is a belt buckle, and can't tell if they are even real coinsimage
  • Options

What about this roll of 1793 Liberty Cents ? ! ......click to see this cool article:

1793 Liberty Cent Roll !

......I collect old stuff......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file