Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo nickel die lines

I've got an MS 1936 Buffalo nickel that has very noticable die lines extending across the top and bottom of the digits of the date - to me they appear to be lines that were scratched into the die so the date could be positioned properly. There are also a couple of looping die scratches at the bottom on the date. Anyone ever see this before?
"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is common on some late dates, apparerntly descended from the master die.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I was just about to post a thread about this. I noticed this on a 1936-D that I failed to win on Sunday. It's clear that guidelines were placed on the die in order to line up the date. As the Captain mentioned, this seems to be common on later date Buffalo nickels.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, it's even on the proof strikes!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a better image from a 1936-D. Note the lines above and below the date.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file