Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Probably something everyone already knows, but

it's worth reminding. Be very careful with emails that appear to be from Paypal. In this week alone, I have gotten 4 that are spoofs with the latest being a very good one that almost got me.

Some tips:
If it doesn't address you by your first and last name...it's a spoof, report it.
If it asks' you for any personal info. within the email...it's a spoof, report it.
If there is a link within the email saying to click on it to log into Paypal...it's a spoof, report it.

The one I got today addressed me by name, but had a link in it for me to log into with and was from service@paypall.com (paypall, not paypal). Being it addressed me by name, I almost fell for it. I called PP about it and they advised me to change all passwords associated with the account, even the ones that are the source of funding it, and my personal email.

Again, I dont know if this is considered OT, but being that alot of us use PP to complete BST transactions, I thought it was worth a reminder.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    I forward every email I get from PayPal to: spoof@paypal.com to double check. (With the exception of receipts and payment received).

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I have started doing that too, but this one today was good, it even had a case number, that of course was bogus. They don't get back with you in a timely manner the way they use to when reporting a spoof. Sometimes like 2 weeks alter I'll get a email from them saying it was a spoof. They must be seriously understaffed or they just dont give a crap anymore. Maybe both LOL.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i report it period.
  • Options
    I tend to go by what paypal states , they will never contact a member for sensitive information by email.They said it somewhere so i bin anything i get from "them".I've never had an issue with doing so.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I forward every email I get from PayPal to: spoof@paypal.com to double check. >>

ebay also, spoof@ebay.com
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    never open links to websites in emails, just type them in or use your bookmarks.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have not opened an E Mail since 1911.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    It has gotten so bad with the fake Paypal and eBay emails, I never access the sites from any email I get from Paypal or eBay. Even if I am pretty sure it is legit, I just do not do it for safe practice. Plus it isn't too hard to just type in the name in the browser anyway.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not opened an E Mail since 1911

I only acknowledge transmissions by carrier pigeon. None of this "talking wires" stuff for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file