Home Precious Metals
Options

Learned something at my B&M today!

I'm in the process of getting rid of all my numismatic related bullion and using the funds to by bullion w/ no numismatic ties. So I have my proof gold buffs for sale on the bst and sold almost all of them and stopped into a local B&M today to buy some AGE's w/ the funds. Out of curiosity I asked them what their buy price would be on my 2008-W $50 Buff PR70DCAM. His answer was that he treats all gold buffalos as bullion so he pays no premium for them image He said that a "coinworld" article states that the mint only produced these for the purpose of being bullion so therefore he abides by that rule.
"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt

Comments

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the process of getting rid of all my numismatic related bullion and using the funds to by bullion w/ no numismatic ties. So I have my proof gold buffs for sale on the bst and sold almost all of them and stopped into a local B&M today to buy some AGE's w/ the funds. Out of curiosity I asked them what there buy price would be on my 2008-W $50 Buff PR70DCAM. His answer was that he treats all gold buffalos as bullion so he pays no premium for them image He said that a "coinworld" article states that the mint only produced these for the purpose of being bullion so therefore he abides by that rule. >>

Then tell him when he gets any in that I'll pay spot + 10%.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of shops are starting to buy that way if they can.
    Quick turnover is the name of the game nowadays for B&M's with bullion.
    The amount of folks that walk into the shop willing to step up & pay the premiums are too few and far between.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What a joke. So he knew that you know the game and STILL wanted to get over on you. Amazing the audacity some B&M's have!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy is being honest, what is the big deal?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    YEA! those B&Ms should sell gold coins for $10.00 and be fair about it!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I don't know of any B+Ms that don't treat mint productions such as buffalos, President's wives, and so forth as bullion when they buy.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going in to a shop to sell a bullionish mint item that's under 20 years old, expect spot, period.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm in the process of getting rid of all my numismatic related bullion and using the funds to by bullion w/ no numismatic ties. So I have my proof gold buffs for sale on the bst and sold almost all of them and stopped into a local B&M today to buy some AGE's w/ the funds. Out of curiosity I asked them what there buy price would be on my 2008-W $50 Buff PR70DCAM. His answer was that he treats all gold buffalos as bullion so he pays no premium for them image He said that a "coinworld" article states that the mint only produced these for the purpose of being bullion so therefore he abides by that rule. >>

Then tell him when he gets any in that I'll pay spot + 10%. >>

I'll pay spot + 12%. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of getting rid of all my numismatic related bullion and using the funds to by bullion w/ no numismatic ties

sounds like you're already there, at least according to the coin store guy (and many many others, probably)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I had exactly the same thing tonight.

Went to view a large collection and all the gold which included Buffalo's. AGE, commem's etc were all NGC 70 stuff. I told him that I have no buyers locally for that , and I would treat them like bullion unless I knew there was a definite premiumon on a key issue or two like the fractional buffalo's. I suggested he sell them to national firm where he can maybe get a little premium above the bullion value.
    So I purchased a bunch of other and left the 70 stuff there.

Had the same dang thing with the silver eagles. Bought all the raw eagles, and left the 70 slabs alone.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To be honest, I had exactly the same thing tonight.

Went to view a large collection and all the gold which included Buffalo's. AGE, commem's etc were all NGC 70 stuff. I told him that I have no buyers locally for that , and I would treat them like bullion unless I knew there was a definite premiumon on a key issue or two like the fractional buffalo's. I suggested he sell them to national firm where he can maybe get a little premium above the bullion value.

Had the same dang thing with the silver eagles. Bought all the raw eagles, and left the 70 slabs alone. >>

Can't say I blame you, that's exactly what I've been seeing around town. There are buyers who will pay the premium,
    but it's a small percentage of collectors and not the plain jane bullion stackers.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>To be honest, I had exactly the same thing tonight.

Had the same dang thing with the silver eagles. Bought all the raw eagles, and left the 70 slabs alone. >>

Can't say I blame you, that's exactly what I've been seeing around town. There are buyers who will pay the premium,
    but it's a small percentage of collectors and not the plain jane bullion stackers. >>

Thats the way I see it also. Always be wary of paying a premium cuz that premium may be worthless when its time for you to sell.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Tell him the proofs were not intended as bullion, but as collector pieces, which is why they come in presentation boxes. Dealers like this give B&M's a bad rep.
    One dealer near me literally laughed when I brought in a proof buffalo and said "I'll give you melt for that". I looked at him for a couple seconds without saying a word and said
    "no thank you" and walked right out. He never saw me again.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell him the proofs were not intended as bullion, but as collector pieces, which is why they come in presentation boxes. Dealers like this give B&M's a bad rep.
    One dealer near me literally laughed when I brought in a proof buffalo and said "I'll give you melt for that". I looked at him for a couple seconds without saying a word and said
    "no thank you" and walked right out. He never saw me again. >>

You should have laughed into that crook's face and said "You should be so lucky!" and than walk away shaking your head in disbelief.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they are offering melt and not $25 back like I was offered for a 2006 MS70 Buff..

This was at a Atlanta monthly coin show from a "big" bullion buyer/coin dealer.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell him the proofs were not intended as bullion, but as collector pieces, which is why they come in presentation boxes. Dealers like this give B&M's a bad rep.
    "no thank you" and walked right out. He never saw me again. >>

I have done the same thing. I will never go back!
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the reason that ebay made it past the startup stage.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I lost out on a large collection of type coins because he thought my spot + 75 for his NGC 70 proof AGE and Buffs were too low. It's tough from my perspective to purchase this stuff from the crowd that got all carried away with the nonsense of grading modern proofs. Actually, I don't think it's unreasonable for folks to buy modern gold 70's, it's just all the over-valued marketing hype that people bought into. IMHO, it's very naive people that pay large premiums for that stuff. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know it sells for a premium on Ebay, but not nearly the premium the fools paid from the TV channels and national marketers. It's a huge scam.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I remember some years ago at a show in Albany, one of the dealers there was offering 1/4oz 2004 Proof Platinums for spot. ANd not getting any takers.
    I remember thinking about buying a few but talked myself out of it as buying the proof 1oz each year was enough.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he sells them near bullion price, IF he gets any, then he isn't a crook and that is just the way he does business.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If he sells them near bullion price, IF he gets any, then he isn't a crook and that is just the way he does business. >>

How many dealers do you know that sell proof gold buffalos near melt? I'd like to get their names.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the process of getting rid of all my numismatic related bullion and using the funds to by bullion w/ no numismatic ties. So I have my proof gold buffs for sale on the bst and sold almost all of them and stopped into a local B&M today to buy some AGE's w/ the funds. Out of curiosity I asked them what their buy price would be on my 2008-W $50 Buff PR70DCAM. His answer was that he treats all gold buffalos as bullion so he pays no premium for them image He said that a "coinworld" article states that the mint only produced these for the purpose of being bullion so therefore he abides by that rule. >>

What a salesman he is. What was the premium, if any, on the AGE you bought
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley