Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does this SLQ grade? Good candidate for a dip?

I've never dipped a coin, but I grabbed this for pretty much a song today and figure it's probably a pretty good candidate for a dip. Or do you figure it will bring the hairlines even more to the forefront. On that note... why the hell do people clean coins. Grrr. What says the crowd?

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    You can see the hairlines on the reverse. This coin has been cleaned/dipped before. If you do it again you will probably ruin it. Looks nice for what it is right now as it sits to me.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    I think there's a cleaning hiding under there. I would suggest not dipping it.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I can't imagine that dipping that coin would lead to anything even remotely related to an improvement in any conceivable way.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Leave it, it'll look worse if you dip it
  • Options
    Wizard1Wizard1 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    what does dipping a coin entail? In a solvent or cleaning agent? Sorry I'm really new at this and have no clue.
    Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

http://www.wizard1.ca

MAKE DONALD DRUMPF AGAIN! http://tinyurl.com/z5uju34 STOP THE DEVOLUTION OF AMERICA

• Options
    My understanding is do not dip a circulated coin.
    molon labe
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never dip a circ coin. It looks cleaned as it is.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High end AU is about the only circulated coin that might not look worse after a dip. Anthing 53 and below tends to really look washed out and lifeless.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dip won't help that coin and could possibily hurt its appearance. Leave it alone.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is NOT an AU as mentioned.

If you dip a circ SLQ it will look lifeless like a chrome bumper.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the others - do not dip it, or even soak it in acetone. If anything I would allow it to tone a little more.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>what does dipping a coin entail? In a solvent or cleaning agent? Sorry I'm really new at this and have no clue. >>

The commercial dips these days have some fancy chemical in them that'll clean off that tarnish. This one was probably dipped in something similar back in the old days and the tarnish is trying real hard now to make a respectable comeback. I agree with the others on this one, she's been hurt enough, let her alone.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    No way do not dip. I would soak the coin in acetone only. I would put the coin in an envelope or album for a few years and let it re-tone. Its not a bad coin at all looks to be vf30 details.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would leave it as isimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

it hsa already been messed with once or twice!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I agree - never dip a circulated coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file