Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pres Obama asks congress in his SOTU address to

BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Repeal the 1099 reporting law! I think it will be history soon?
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Repeal the 1099 reporting law! I think it will be history soon? >>

I hope so. I was quite excited when I heard that.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    ME 2!!!!!!!!!
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

No question. This has not been in doubt for some time. There is strong, bi-partisan opposition to this absurd law. It will NEVER take effect.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elections have consequences.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

No question. This has not been in doubt for some time. There is strong, bi-partisan opposition to this absurd law. It will NEVER take effect. >>

Lance.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some board members seem to think it is a great thing.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Elections have consequences. >>

Some more than others!!!!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some board members seem to think it is a great thing. >>

WHAT???
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I missed it in between all the verses of Kumbaya. Good on him. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I am soooooo glad.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I hope so. I was quite excited when I heard that. >>

You weren't the only one. The entire Congress was on its feet clapping. There seems to be some strong feelings on this law.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I love coin related threads!! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool, I love coin related threads!! image >>

Exactly... so I'll try to make it coin related by saying that I'm going to freeze my coin spending for the next 5 years image But at the same time I'm going to buy lots of cool coins for investment!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I agree it will be a good thing to repeal it so I can buy more investment COINS too! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    I was extremely glad to here him say that in the speech
    It means to me one of my favorite coin shops where I live
    that I have been going to since I was a kid is going to stay
    open.
    The owner told me last year if the law takes effect,I close the doors.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Heard a lot of things in the State of the Union speech.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up on talk.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Heard a lot of things in the State of the Union speech.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up on talk. >>

I certainly understand your hesitancy, especially when it comes to Washington politics.
    The reason that I believe the 1099 reporting law is toast is the vote to repeal the entire
    health care package in the House did not go unnoticed. Along with the enormous
    backlash that has felt by Congress and the Senate from their constituents concerning this
    absurdly burdensome law. One letter writing campaign was started right here on this board.
    The President offered up this law to be sacrificed in a very public manor in an effort to
    save other components of the health care bill. As usual it is all about wheeling and dealing. image
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>Heard a lot of things in the State of the Union speech.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up on talk. >>

Dang, I was too busy to watch it - had just painted a wall and wanted to watch the paint dry....
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

It has nothing to do with reporting what profit you make as some on the board think.

It is all about all the extra work in preparing all these stupid 1099's you will be required to do that would drive everyone crazy.

You would have to keep track of everyone you sold something to and when they hit $600 you would then issue a 1099 the way I understand it.

I would just as soon stop buying and selling as go through all that.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obama didn't mention 1099 by name. He did say that he would work with congress to fix problems in the health bill that placed uneccessary burdens on business. I also interpreted this to be a reference to the 1099 provision.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    From what I understand, if you are supposed to issue a 1099 to someone and you don't, you subject yourself to a $50 fine.

OMG!image
  • Options

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some board members seem to think it is a great thing. >>

If you are implying that this is bad because it "enables" tax evasion, keep in mind that many have estimated the economic costs of compliance with the law to dwarf the amount of revenue that might be lost to people who would use this as an excuse to not pay their taxes.

The *only* potential reason to support this law is a belief that it would reduce tax evasion. But if you raise an extra $X in taxes because of it while causing a $3X economic drain to the cost of compliance, it's not such a good idea.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I understand, if you are supposed to issue a 1099 to someone and you don't, you subject yourself to a $50 fine.

OMG!image >>

I believe unless you filed the 1099, you would lose the deduction.....

This would hurt not only the coin business but many others....
  • Options
    Barry Soetoro (or whatever his real name is) - aka Obama was just saying that to look good and ease your fears.

He knows that bill currently does not have enough votes to pass so he wants to sound like he's with it. LOL, what a joker.

He doesn't even write his own speeches, he's a teleprompter reading actor.

There were so many lies/propaganda in his so called speech it gave me headache.

I suspect that 1099 will be back, it's there to help kill whatever is left of the US economy.
  • Options

I dont' think it's time to celebrate yet.

They may just compromise to increase the limit from 600 to 1200 for example, or perhaps make it per transaction versus cumulative etc. That would eliminate 80% or so of the paperwork since most collectors are small spenders. Of course, for the 20% of us that do 80% of the buying / selling it won't help. It will be more of a nightmare on the 20% of us that do most of the business than on the Shop owners at that point. I think a lot of us collect and don't want the IRS involved in every thing we do. I suspect that almost any reporting requirements at all will have a devastating(sp) effect of the upper 20%, on the number of people that will leave the hobby. I for one am not going to be giving my Social Security number to any Coin Dealer, and then have to try to figure out cost basis on every coin over decades. It just isn't going to happen. In some upper echlon collectors it won't matter. At least for those that die with their coins and then leave a very detailed list of coins in the will so that heirs can step up the cost basis to market value. I suspect that most of us however, intend to use a good amount of our collection as income in retirement.

However, I can certainly understand if they do make compromise to the requirement versus eliminating it. There are many goody two shoe board members that think it's all about tax evasion, we can assume that attitude prevails in the over all populaton. It's much easier for Congress to tweak the law and have republicans agree to the change when it's tweaked in such a manner that it's apparent it will provide some tax compliance with a smaller burden on businesses.

Of course, none of this has a bearing on Ebay's policy of issuing 1099's this year for those with 20k or 200? sales. I don't know if that was governmental policy or Ebay came up with it. Does anyone here know ?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an easy bone to throw the GOP, just so long as the rest of the health legislation remains intact. Makes him look "bipartisan".
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I didn't have the time for it. I had to watch the Buckeyes open up a can of whup on the Boilermakers.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for posting. I missed it in between all the verses of Kumbaya. Good on him. MJ >>

That's why I just can't bear to watch a SOTU address. Either party, BTW. They're just so ... platitudinous! image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry Soetoro (or whatever his real name is) - aka Obama was just saying that to look good and ease your fears.

He knows that bill currently does not have enough votes to pass so he wants to sound like he's with it. LOL, what a joker.

He doesn't even write his own speeches, he's a teleprompter reading actor.

There were so many lies/propaganda in his so called speech it gave me headache.

I suspect that 1099 will be back, it's there to help kill whatever is left of the US economy. >>

You must not like any president in the last 60 years -- not many of them write their own speeches.
    Of course, your first line says it all, doesn't it.....
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I was in a frothy frenzy when he mentioned the corporate tax rate. Such changes will keep your very own Longacre gainfully employed easily for the next 10 years.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So do the street dealers go to jail for tax evasion if they don't submit a 1099 when buying their stashes?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    You can see here http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=98114,00.html
    that items bought or sold for inventory are in no way EVER reported on 1099 forms.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can see here http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=98114,00.html
    that items bought or sold for inventory are in no way EVER reported on 1099 forms. >>

Since the new rules were to go into effect in 2012, they would not be included on the IRS's list of items reported on 1099's, since that list has just the currently required items.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>So do the street dealers go to jail for tax evasion if they don't submit a 1099 when buying their stashes? >>

Yes, and as much as I hate the new law, clamping down on tax evasion is its sole purpose. You'd think with all the electronic transferring of money these days the IRS would be able to do their job and identify tax evaders without having to have others do it for them.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>You can see here http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=98114,00.html
    that items bought or sold for inventory are in no way EVER reported on 1099 forms. >>

Not under current tax law. Check your website again after Jan. 1, 2012.

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file