Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1993D Lincoln, what do I have?? Overstrike??

Hello all, I recently found a interesting Lincoln penny. It has doubling on the date, and on words also. The doubling is not raised, the coin looks like it was struck, and then struck again just a little bit off from the original strike. It can be seen with the naked eye if you look closely enough. I guess I would call it a 1993 over 1993. I am a newbie so I am just wondering what the value of it may be? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see pics. Have seen some nice ones go for $50 or so. Sounds like
    you found a keeper!

Bobimage

PS: welcome!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to tell is if you can provide a good pic of the coin.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Hope this helps. It has what looks to me like die polish lines like crazy also.

Kinda hard to see in the full size picture. I would grade au58 since it looks like Lincolns jacket has wear at the bottom. Thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like doubling imparted from the machine's motions in the minting process, rather than a doubling on the die.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pic. Strike Doubling is what I see.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, machine or strike doubling. Not a double die. Nothing dramatic here, but cool
    anyway. Not worth a premium.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate it. Roll searching Lincolns for my dansco album is really turning into lots of fun!
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    This is a case of die deterioration doubling.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Nice close-up photo!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file