Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins Are Returning Grade of No D Lincoln

My coins are coming beack from PCGS and I found that a Lincoln Cent 1922 No D is returning as a 1922 D. I fully believe this is a clerical error but that kind of error has no guarantee. Perhaps when i receive the coins it'll be labeled as a 22 No D. Really odd that they would do that but I make mistakes fairly often myself but this company? anyway, I'll post the results, coins are in the mail. 2010 $50 Gold Buffalo is a PR69, wish it were a PR70.
oklahomakid

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Got a photo of the coin?
  • Options
    JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    No, just the receipt/submission form. But with my limited knowledge if it was a No D they'd grade as such unless it was as I said before a clerical error-it happens on occasion t everyone.
    oklahomakid
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    If there is ANY sign of a lump that might be a D, PCGS will call it a 22-D.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul's right. Even the very faintest telltale sign, a mere bump or trace of a mintmark, and it will not earn the no-D grade. That's my guess. But of course it could be a clerical error. I think the label will be consistent with the notice you received, though.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    What PCGS coin number did you put on the form?

There are 4 numbers
    22-D 2539
    22 weak D 3112
    22 no D strong rev 3287
    22 no D weak rev 2542

It might not matter, I bet they ignore it and figure it out based on what they see on the coin.

Ed
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Maybe it's an "S" ? image
  • Options
    JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    i did find a scan of the coin but it is in a flip and not clear visually. I did put on the submissin form "No D." We'll see hopefully this week what gives.
    oklahomakid
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be hard to see, but if you Tilt the coin in bright light with a lens and a bump can be seen, you have a weak D and I think PCS will not list a Weak D unless you pay the variety fees??? Am I correct here forum members on this?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    If you can look up the cert # and tell us the coin # it would be helpful
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PCS will not list a Weak D unless you pay the variety fees??? >>

Since the weak D has a PCGS number (3112) there's no extra fee but I'm not sure what they do if it's not submitted with that number.

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file