Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 KENNEDY 1/2 Question Proof or MS

CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
Thought proofs lack luster and business strikes lack mirrors,for the most part. Have this Kennedy that has proof-like mirror (not deep) AND full cartwheel luster on obverse and reverse. Proof,MS,sMs/ ]imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought proofs lack luster and business strikes lack mirrors,for the most part. Have this Kennedy that has proof-like mirror (not deep) AND full cartwheel luster on obverse and reverse. Proof,MS,or SMSimage
    >>

Not SMS IMO since it lacks the die scratching necessary.

It's too sharp of a strike to be MS IMO which leaves it as a non-mirrored proof.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Proof.........IMO
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    image and image too
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

Thanks, now throw one in after the first IMG to separate the two. It makes viewing so much easier.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be a proof and I would imagine that the angle of lighting used makes it look like it has more shallow mirrors than it has in-hand.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Explain a non mirrored proof if you could please. I have a 1964 Kennedy and when I tilt the coin I can see a reflection (outline?) or two of Kennedy. Is that what they call a Cameo appearance?
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Explain a non mirrored proof if you could please. I have a 1964 Kennedy and when I tilt the coin I can see a reflection (outline?) or two of Kennedy. Is that what they call a Cameo appearance? >>

No, cameo is the frosted look that the devices on a proof coin have as contrasted to the mirrored fields.Like in your avatar, for example.

-Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for help...image Adjust pictures for viewing best I can......The second picture is pretty accurate on mirror depth and I wanted to show the cartwheel luster,I thought odd for a proof...........Too bad it was not an 1964 sms .
  • Options
    wow what a picture !!!! tell us about your set up !
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This look is quite common for the 1964 proof silver coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>wow what a picture !!!! tell us about your set up ! >>

image Two 60 watt bulbs coin sitting on top of my oven...But I searched this forum, for ideas, on a good used camera a couple years ago and decided on a nikon coolpix 4600......Got a well used one on ebay for $25...image..............Search forum for ideas and you will get ALOT of excellent help.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 1964 proof Kennedy with accented hair to me.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Thats a proof
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a 1964 proof Kennedy with accented hair to me. >>

nada, no truncated I in Liberty, the reverse looks like the A/H reverses though, but some/more? of the regualar proof have that characteristic, of a A/H reverse die
  • Options

<< <i>Explain a non mirrored proof if you could please. I have a 1964 Kennedy and when I tilt the coin I can see a reflection (outline?) or two of Kennedy. Is that what they call a Cameo appearance? >>

Two pictures worht two thousand words!

Non-Mirrored Proof
    Note: Definite lack of Mirrored fields but a sharp, crisp strike.

This is a Cameo
    Note the differences between the devices and the fields where the devices almost look like they're cover in a blanket of snow.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a 1964 proof Kennedy with accented hair to me. >>

Definitely NOT an Accented Hair Kennedy.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file