Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here is an update on the Langbord lawsuit.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
On 1-19-2011 the court issued an amended scheduling order.

In this order the court has changed some of the previously established dates and has put the parties on a short fuse for trial.

Expert discovery, including depositions, must be finished by 3-7-2011.

On or before 3-7-2011 both sides are to file all of the paperwork they were previously required to file by 2-28-2011 [this paperwork was discussed in an earlier thread and need not be repeated here].

Each side is to provide to the court written status reports on the first and fifteenth of each month regarding their availability for trial.

The case is placed in the court's "Ready Pool" commencing on 3-21-2011. Thereafter counsel for both sides are to be prepared to proceed to trial on 48 hours notice.

If trial has not yet occurred, the trial will commence on 7-7-2011 at 9:00 a.m. in Courtroom 6A of the US District Court located at 601 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA.

This case is finally scheduled for a trial which will start [absent a settlement] sometime between 3-24-2011 and 7-7-2011.

Using a railroad analogy, the train pulled out of the station in 12-2006 and has spent the past 4 plus years on a laborious, slow, journey to the summit of the pass (like slowly going from the California Central Valley east through the Sierra foothills, into Yosemite National Park and to the top of Tioga Pass).

The train has now reached the summit and is just starting down the other side of the pass on its way to its final destination [a court decision on who gets the ten double eagles]. This side of the pass is one that drops sharply (like from the top of Tioga Pass east down the steep, steep slope to US 395 at Mono Lake).

As the case descends from the top of the pass it will pick up speed, going ever faster until all passengers and crew are hanging on for dear life hoping that all the switchbacks and hairpin turns are navigated without the train flying off of the rails.

If the case settles, the train ride will stop before its final destination.

If the train navigates all the turns and arrives in the station, one side will be thrilled with the ride and one side will be sickened by the ride.

Both sides will simply be glad the ordeal is over.

The attorneys for both sides will experience similar feelings. Then they will go home [or to the nearest bar], get up the next day and do the same stuff again, only on a different file.

Any new predictions as to the outcome?

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    its nice to see they are finally hurrying up

they are gonna run into a rock on the tioga pass road descent. it'll take 'em forever to get to lee vining
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then they will go home [or to the nearest bar], get up the next day and do the same stuff again, only on a different file.

Or perhaps the same file, if appealed??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I predict that the Langbord's will be able to keep their coins.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I predict a government / Langbord partnership settlement like with the Farouk coin.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like 2011 is the year, finally!

I am thinking that the Langboards will do well.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like 2011 is the year, finally!

I am thinking that the Langboards will do well. >>

I think they would of done better by moving to Europe. Make that Reo weather is nicer.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think they would of done better by moving to Europe. >>

Well, at least taking a vacation to Europe and selling these 10 coins while there were there.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I predict snow will block the train on the other side of Tioga pass, where some the passengers will freeze to death, only to be eaten by the other passengers. The train will arrive at the station, only to be ordered to continue east to Chicago on appeal, albeit with fewer passengers and another conductor.

TRUTH
  • Options
    Nice train analogy, however, I think a settlement would equate with a time warp that suddenly puts the train at the final destination.
    I find it unsettling to think of the train just sitting there on the track in some random place, forever.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    Langbord's will win -- Government appeals.
    "I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." - Franklin Pierce Adams

Positive BST Transactions: kalshacon
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Solomon's method: Cut them all in half and each side gets 10 half coins.

Negotiator's method: Each party gets ten coins and can do with them as they wish. Most likely all end up for sale.

Hybrid: Co-ownership, they go to auction one at a time or as a group and proceeds are split.

My method: Give them all to me.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope your destination is worse that your train's destination. You do know that Mono Lake
    is a dead lake? Oh, yeah, there's a brine shrimp that does live there but the lake is soooo
    salty that nothing else can or does. That does not bode well, my friend. But for whom? lol

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope your destination is worse that your train's destination. You do know that Mono Lake
    is a dead lake? Oh, yeah, there's a brine shrimp that does live there but the lake is soooo
    salty that nothing else can or does. That does not bode well, my friend. But for whom? lol

bobimage >>

Mono Lake is also lined with a billion billion trillion flies.

The coarse pumice sand is deep and easy to sink into.

What fresh water there is; much is channeled to LA.

Mono Lake is an excellent choice for lawyer analogies.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Absent a settlement and a therefore an award, does the losing side automatically appeal?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Refresh my foggy memory, counselor: is this a bench trial or was there a jury demand? Thank you, -donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think they would of done better by moving to Europe. Make that Reo weather is nicer. >>

Reo?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe a jury will go against the Langbord family in the current environment.

The mood of the country is not good timing for the government's case. It would have been a lot better for the feds about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Reo" = Real Estate Owned = bank owned property.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    REO, sounded out phoneticallly is pronounced "Rio",............................ as in the city of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil in South America.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict a government / Langbord partnership settlement like with the Farouk coin. >>

Will the owner of the Farouk coin then sue the gov't for breach of contract and damges (i.e., the drop in value of his 7.5M coin)? Didn't they guarantee it would be the only legal 1933?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I predict a government / Langbord partnership settlement like with the Farouk coin. >>

Will the owner of the Farouk coin then sue the gov't for breach of contract and damges (i.e., the drop in value of his 7.5M coin)? Didn't they guarantee it would be the only legal 1933? >>

Good luck trying to find a lawyer to take that case.......

I still think the gummint bought the Fenton coin just to finally get their hands on it. Maybe after the Langbord case is finished somebody will file a FOIA request to find out who really owns it. I expect to be long dead before the answer comes back.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Let this just end! lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file