Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PROBLEM RESOLVED ... Help! Problem with Heritage auction lot.

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
Not to go into great detail, but I just received a coin from Heritage's recent Signature Auction that has a large scratch running clear across the obverse face. It's serious enough that I'm surprised PCGS even graded it. It's a shame because the coin is very nice otherwise. My issue is that Heritage made no mention of the problem in their lot description. I understand that auction houses typically gloss over problems in the rare instance that problems are even mentioned, but this is unacceptable. I've been a frequent buyer from Heritage for more than 10 years and I've NEVER complained about the quality of items recieved from Heritage.

Before I contact Heritage, can I expect any satisfaction or am I stuck with a lemon?

Help,
Chris
Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is their stated return policy?
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I'd suggest that you contact them by phone, and politely/calmly/firmly explain the situation to them, just as you did here. And I'd emphasize the part that says: "I've been a frequent buyer from Heritage for more than 10 years and I've NEVER complained about the quality of items recieved from Heritage."

While you shouldn't necessarily "expect" a satisfactory result, under the circumstances, it seems that you can reasonably "hope" for one. All things considered, I like your odds. Best of luck.

PS - If you've bought sight-unseen for that long and never had a problem prior to now, count your lucky stars.image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine that Heritage will accept the lot as a return if you speak with someone on the phone and then write an email to explain the issue as well as have the coin in the mail to them within a day or two. Obviously, I cannot speak for Heritage, but they accepted a return of mine a few years ago without issue. However, you may have to pay them a 10% fee or so for the return.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is as you say, then I would ask them to waive any fees to return the coin. I know that TeleTrade has done that in the past.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    If the piece was represented correctly, I believe HA will make good on it.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Reference links? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    link?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you show us a pic of this large scratch that both PCGS and Heritage missed?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will take it back. If it is truly as blatant as you say they will not charge you a restock. They are pretty fair.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

For the sake of the consignor I'd rather not share a link to the coin. My concern is with Heritage and how they will receive a complaint.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might also return the coin to PCGS on your behalf if they think the coin should be downgraded. If Halperin and his boys agree with you that would be a win-win from Heritage's standpoint. They would have much more oomph than you would. And if it's an obvious misgrade, then it will be resolved. At this point I think you have 2 options to keep from remaining the owner of lemonade.

This happened to me on a raw, orig toned, and near gem bust quarter from a NIOF auction back in the mid-1980's. I spent about 15 minutes looking at the coin during lot viewing and I graded it MS65. Turned out I "won" the lot but when delivered it had an obvious and quite large/very old and deep scratch across the entire obverse, dropping the coin down several grades. There was no way this coin had this scratch on it when I viewed it and it "seemed" to be similar to the coin I had looked at. I ended up eating the coin for a several thousand dollar loss. It was the last time I bid at a NIOF sale. One of the owners of the original NIOF was sent to jail in the past 5-10 yrs....for coin fraud....about 20 yrs too late to help me out.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Let us know what happens!
  • Options

<< <i>They might also return the coin to PCGS on your behalf if they think the coin should be downgraded. If Halperin and his boys agree with you that would be a win-win from Heritage's standpoint. They would have much more oomph than you would. And if it's an obvious misgrade, then it will be resolved. At this point I think you have 2 options to keep from remaining the owner of lemonade. >>

Great idea roadrunner.

• Options
    After speaking with customer service and writing a polite email explaining my concern, Heritage sent me the following email today:

"Thank you Mr. XXX,
    We will return the coin for you. Please send it back to us for a refund. I will start return process for you.
    "

I'm stunned. Could it be this easy? This virtually guarantees that Heritage will be the auction house of choice when I liquidate my own collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file