Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here is the possible new Bust quarter die marriage.

I still need to take some better photos and verify a thing or 2, but I think this is a new die marriage I've found. It has Obverse 2 and Reverse U (B-2), but it has the obverse die crack only listed on the B-3. If it's at such a die stage (5) that the B-3 would have the obverse crack, then where are all the reverse cracks or the CUD that would show up at that stage? That's why I think it's a new marriage and not just an unlisted die stage.

Comments

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    I think we first need to define what a new die marriage is versus a die re-marriage.

A new die marriage would be:

1. A known obverse or reverse die paired with an obverse or reverse die that it is not normally paired with.

2. A totally new and unknown obverse or reverse die paired with a known obverse or reverse die.

3. A totally unknown obverse and reverse die paired together.

A die Re-marriage would be:

As dies were removed to be lapped, other dies were installed to be able to continue the striking of coins. If only one die was removed (either obverse or reverse) and another was put in its place, a new die marriage would occur. If the original die removed for lapping was re-installed, any consequent coins struck would constitute a re-marriage of the dies. Sometimes this can be tracked by die cracks or other events but many times this occurred and no evidence will be visible. Tracking these die re-marriages can also help provide added proof as to the die striking sequence.

There are several Bust Quarter die re-marriages that have been discovered and written about (I have 7 listed in my book), but there are sure to be a few more to discover.

If the coin is what you are saying, it would be a re-marriage not a new die marriage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to this coin...I do not see a die crack as listed in DS-5 for this obverse while it was used to strike the B-3 die marriage. What I do see looks to be a scratch in the field between the right stars and the portrait of Liberty. Keep in mind that the Die Stages listed in my book are separated Obverse / Reverse, so that even though one side might have reached DS-5, the other may still be DS-1.

I think that we are just seeing a regular 1825 B-2 and nothing particularly special, but I would need to see it in hand to be sure. I own a very EDS 1825 B-3 and a very LDS B-3, so I should be able to place where the die stage of your coin falls, by the observed die wear.

Can you give us a close up of the supposed die cracks?

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭
    Here's a closeup, as best as I can get at the moment. This seems too conspicuous to be a scratch unless someone did it on purpose (?).

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    I just got home and looked at my AU example and the die crack goes from star-11 up to the back of the cap just above the junction of the cap and the hair curl. Your example extends up higher than that. Sorry, but I am sure it is a scratch.

I doubt it was done on purpose and just happened to start at the same point as where the eventual die crack happens on the LDS of B-3.

Keep looking...You never know what is out there to be discovered!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭
    Too bad! But thanks for the help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file