Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here have access to the 1909 Zabriskie catalog??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, please PM me - thanks. image
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Tim, PM sent.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Zabriskie own the Augustus Humbert collection of Proof and specimen Territorial gold?

That would be a cool set to have seen together.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Andrew C. Zabriskie purchased many items from the Augustus Humbert estate before it was marketed by Henry Chapman in 1902.

Humbert reportedly had six Kellogg "Proof" $50 gold coins, and his 1851 "$50 gold "Slug" was an exceptional prooflike first strike (lot 352). Humbert's own 1852/1 $20 gold coin was labeled a "Brilliant proof" by Henry Chapman.

The plated June 1909 Zabriskie sale catalogue by Chapman was one of the more important offerings of Private & Territorial gold items; both in the number of pieces and the selection that was available. It also helps to validate what was known prior to the 1950's when previously unknown gold items first began to appear.

Researcher Edgar H Adams had seen Zabriskie's collection before it was sold (both were ANS members who lived in New York) and that was the reason he wrote several papers a few years later on Territorial gold.

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    Firstmint:

Thanks for that info - I was doing some "research" on a Mass. and Cal. piece, hoping it was in the catalog. BigMoose was able to help me out.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Zabriskie's copy of the Eckfedlt/DuBois Manual of Gold & Silver Coins (1842).

Zabriskie must have been at it awhile, for he inscribed this copy "1871."

Presumably he must have also owned the edition w/gold samples, for that seems like something that would have greatly appealed to him.

Alas, said copy is not in my library.
  • Options
    In checking Amazon, there are alot of reprints. Must be a popular item??
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Broadstruck:

Your a month late, a PM short. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I did see the movie Zabriskie point, great music score by Pink Floyd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file