Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Of all the strange coincidences.......

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
I started a thread today about "seller gwb1944..." and how he is selling Chinese counterfeits.

Well, a few hours goes by and I check the mail.

I receive an Ebay recent purchase (Morgan dollar) and wouldn't you know it....it's a Chinese Fake!!!

My first one!

Now before you guys go off scolding me about how 'dumb' I am or how smart I 'should' be, I would like you to know
the seller (who is not gwb1944) not only sent me a Fake, but in his auction, he used a different photo and also sent me a different date!

So how was I to know?

So here I am helping these other people out all day long on what they should do when they get a Fake, but I have to attend to my own
Resolution on Ebay too.

Truly, a weird day.

Long story short, the seller fully refunded me and so far, everyone's happy.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    I would have loved to seen your expression as you looked at the fake.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    Is there any chance you will post pics with pointers to why it's fake ? Educational to ebayers like myself as i often buy raw there.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    In a fake slab?
  • Options

<< <i>I would have loved to seen your expression as you looked at the fake. >>

It was something like this...with the caption "WTF!!!!!"

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I started a thread today about "seller gwb1944..." and how he is selling Chinese counterfeits.

Well, a few hours goes by and I check the mail.

I receive an Ebay recent purchase (Morgan dollar) and wouldn't you know it....it's a Chinese Fake!!!

My first one!

Now before you guys go off scolding me about how 'dumb' I am or how smart I 'should' be, I would like you to know
    the seller (who is not gwb1944) not only sent me a Fake, but in his auction, he used a different photo and also sent me a different date!

So how was I to know?

So here I am helping these other people out all day long on what they should do when they get a Fake, but I have to attend to my own
    Resolution on Ebay too.

Truly, a weird day.

Long story short, the seller fully refunded me and so far, everyone's happy. >>

Sounds like this is a seller that needs to be outed:
    -Using different photos than item for sale without disclosure.
    -Shipping a different item (date) than for item for sale.
    -Shipping a fake item as a real one.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like this is a seller that needs to be outed:
    -Using different photos than item for sale without disclosure.
    -Shipping a different item (date) than for item for sale.
    -Shipping a fake item as a real one. >>

In this case, I won't do that.

He was very responsive to my complaint and he genuinely struck me as someone who didn't know better.

Plus, he very rarely sells coins.

Who knows, he may have duped me, but nevertheless, I have to go with my gut reaction.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>In a fake slab? >>

No.

It was purchased raw.

• Options

<< <i>Is there any chance you will post pics with pointers to why it's fake ? Educational to ebayers like myself as i often buy raw there. >>

Classic (poor quality) Chinese fake....

Raised bubble-like surfaces, especially on the lettering (10X magnification).

Very easy to tell from the real thing.

• Options

<< <i>He was very responsive to my complaint and he genuinely struck me as someone who didn't know better.

>>

Didn't know better? Didn't know it's not OK to ship a different item than described and photographed?

You're giving him more credit than I would.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, though. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that IS weird.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme music...

Nice work to those who did battle in this last round and got that "gwb1944" auction down. I'm happy to have been one of those who joined the pitchfork-and-torch-wielding crowd, that time.

The people on these forums do a valuable public service by acting as eBay and Internet watchdogs. As long as we don't get overzealous or egotistical about it, I say that is a good thing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that IS weird.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme music...

Nice work to those who did battle in this last round and got that "gwb1944" auction down. I'm happy to have been one of those who joined the pitchfork-and-torch-wielding crowd, that time.

The people on these forums do a valuable public service by acting as eBay and Internet watchdogs. As long as we don't get overzealous or egotistical about it, I say that is a good thing. >>

I totally agree.

My thanks goes to you and others for helping out.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Did he appologize for sending the wrong fake?image
    Paul
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg what a bummer. im sorry to hear that. alot of agrevation there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file