Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who is the best dealer/company to sell coins to?

You have have top notch PQ coins who is the best to sell your collection to?

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably depends on what you're selling... US Coins I assume, but might be a different "best" dealer if you're selling indian cents vs. morgan dollars.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    There is no one best dealer/company for that.

Among other considerations, it depends upon the type and quality of coins, what their current wants and inventory are, etc. Often, if you bought the coins from the right dealers, they will pay strong/fair prices to buy them back.
  • Options
    Mark forgot to mention that he is good one. At least he made me a good offer on my Bust quarter.image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    The one(s) who offer(s) you the most for your coins!image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one(s) who offer(s) you the most for your coins!image >>

Agree, and frequently it's another collector. Try the BST before getting a dealer's low ball offer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

Agree, and frequently it's another collector. Try the BST before getting a dealer's low ball offer. >>

There's nothing wrong with trying the BST. But please don't give the impression that "low ball" offers are exclusive to dealers.

And if the coins are truly PQ, in order to get full value for them, they will need to be sold on a sight-seen basis.
  • Options

<< <i>probably depends on what you're selling... US Coins I assume, but might be a different "best" dealer if you're selling indian cents vs. morgan dollars. >>

spot on image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Agree, and frequently it's another collector. Try the BST before getting a dealer's low ball offer. >>

We've bought our fair share of coins on the BST, too.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I hate to say this but I've sold coins much easier to dealers (the right dealers) than "collectors" on the BST. The one part I don't like if the dealer is only looking to see if they have a home for it and shop it around first, before committing. This can hold a person up on a sale. But I've had many BST deals as well. When the low ball offers come from our astute members of the board I just ignore them. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I've had dealers give me some very reasonable offers on the BST. SeaEagleCoins is one of them. image
  • Options

<< <i>

To clarify things a bit, I was thinking about the local B&M coin shop who typically don't make generous offers for coins they buy over the counter. Naturally, there a exceptions to every generalization.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of figuring out this whole coin thing is knowing what to sell to who.
  • Options

<< <i>There's nothing wrong with trying the BST. But please don't give the impression that "low ball" offers are exclusive to dealers.
    . >>

Mark is right, the most outlandish offers I have ever gotten on a coin for sale is from "collectors" on the BST. I remember offers for $200 for PCGS 1915 Proof Barber half in PF62 and $150 for AU NGC graded 1909s indian. I am ok for letting them go for wholesale but that was a bit much and I have never had a dealer come close to that level of crazy.
  • Options
    As has been stated, it really depends on what is being sold.

Most dealers have their area of expertise and typically offer a little more because they already know where/who they can move it to.

Locally, I take all my scrap 90% and common date dollars to Silvertowne, while the better date stuff goes to collectors or Briggs (especially better Seated stuff).

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "best" dealer might be different depending upon what the coin is that is for sale.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There's nothing wrong with trying the BST. But please don't give the impression that "low ball" offers are exclusive to dealers.
    . >>

Mark is right, the most outlandish offers I have ever gotten on a coin for sale is from "collectors" on the BST. I remember offers for $200 for PCGS 1915 Proof Barber half in PF62 and $150 for AU NGC graded 1909s indian. I am ok for letting them go for wholesale but that was a bit much and I have never had a dealer come close to that level of crazy. >>

Similar to the car business, worst lowball offers I have ever seen have always come from private individuals...

Like has been said before, it depends.

I wouldn't go to Larry (SeaEagleCoins) with colonial copper, he'd look at me all funny (more so than normal)... I wouldn't offer Laura my mid grade Barbers, and Doug Winter is the last place I'd try and sell my 90%.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "best" dealer might be different depending upon what the coin is that is for sale. >>

What Tom Said. In some cases the best dealer is the Heritage auction. Please visit my site to see how you can get more than hammer.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is the best dealer/company to sell coins to? >>

The one who offers you the most money.

Ha. I crack me up. (Sorry- couldn't resist.)

Edit- eh, phooey. I should've known several people would beat me to the punchline on that one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no one best dealer/company for that.

Among other considerations, it depends upon the type and quality of coins, what their current wants and inventory are, etc. Often, if you bought the coins from the right dealers, they will pay strong/fair prices to buy them back. >>

I agree.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Who is the best dealer/company to sell coins to? >>

The one who offers you the most money. >>

This is actually good advice---frequently you have to show a coin to several dealers to get your best offer.

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    I've had great offers/deals with James Sego (SEGOJA) here on the boards, MANY people have. He's bought singles to gold sets and has provided FAST payment, great communication, etc In addition, you can also use the PCGS advertising that you see when you look at your set. It lists coins that will fill your spot for that coin. You place a set price on the coin. Another idea is to contact the collectors on the Registry Sets. If you have coins thay need, especially the higher ones for those sets, you will get REALLY great offers for your coins. If all that doesn't work, I'd go to Heritage. Teletrade costs WAY too much for sales, as does Flea-bay. BST boards are way better than both of those. Mitch at Wondercoin has in the past, offered good money for nice sets, but I haven't dealt with him lately. He's offered god money for singles lately, but, I don't know how he is on singles/sets right now. I know a lot of people hahve dealt with him.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Points that appear to have been ignored so far are that it really depends on how much you value your time, how much work you want to do, and your risk tolerance. I don't sell often, but when I do, I usually first get an offer from the company from which I purchased the coin. Then, if I don't like the offer, I'll wait until the next show comes to town and go to a few dealers who I know 1) Are aggressive buyers 2) Are able to pay (their check is good), 3) Are personable. To me, this includes (NFC, Jason Carter, Ryan Carrol @ Heritage, Rick Raaf @ Scotsman, Fred Colombo, and John Schuch). Just my opinion.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    If they are worthy of a CAC sticker John Albanese pays great prices for great coins. I had sold him quite a few over the years and I am not an easy seller. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file