Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS: over 20 million coins graded

I am just curious. On the PCGS home page, they have the coin odometer which shows over 20 millions coins graded. We all know that some coins are cracked out and resubmitted, or cracked out and sent to another service.

So how many of those 20 million + coins are still in PCGS slabs? There is obviously no absolute correct answer, just looking for opinions. Are 10 million + still in PCGS slabs? Maybe a little less?

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the series, rarity and price spread. For coins with big spreads between grades there was once an estimate of 25%. It's lower for common date and generic issues and probably close to none for bullion and moderns.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many coins has NGC slabbed? More than 20 miilion?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..I don't know - do those silly little guitars count ?
  • Options

<< <i>..I don't know - do those silly little guitars count ? >>

Sure. And so do the moderns and other stuff both companies grade.

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>How many coins has NGC slabbed? More than 20 million? >>

NGC has done a few hundred thousand more.

So if we assume half of the 20 million is moderns, and 25% of the rest is still in slabs, then 17 million or so are still in PCGS slabs. Seems a little high to me.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i> NGC has done a few hundred thousand more. >>

Are you sure? Do you have a source? There was a long period of time when NGC declined to grade modern (post 1964) coinage. That cost them a lot of bulk-modern business early on.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am just curious. On the PCGS home page, they have the coin odometer which shows over 20 millions coins graded. We all know that some coins are cracked out and resubmitted, or cracked out and sent to another service.

So how many of those 20 million + coins are still in PCGS slabs? There is obviously no absolute correct answer, just looking for opinions. Are 10 million + still in PCGS slabs? Maybe a little less? >>

That coin odometer is about 3 months out of date too.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you estimate the total grading fees were on the 20 million coins?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>What would you estimate the total grading fees were on the 20 million coins? >>

At $15 per coin average I would guess $300 million.

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> NGC has done a few hundred thousand more. >>

Are you sure? Do you have a source? There was a long period of time when NGC declined to grade modern (post 1964) coinage. That cost them a lot of bulk-modern business early on. >>

NGC announced in press release last summer that they did their 20 millionth coin. PCGS was a few hundred thousand behind at the time and never did a press release when they hit 20 million.
  • Options
    ...thats over 40 million between the two .................I venture a wild guess there are no more then 3 or 4 million coins existent in TPG slabs today

.....now let's see.............one..........two...................three...........................................................four.........................................................................................five....................................................................................................six....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file