Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1849/8 $10- fantastic colors, strange strike...

ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1152&Lot_No=4531

Can someone tell me what's going on here? I look at this coin and I see luster on the devices bordering on the prooflike, colors to rival a Chagall, yet the eagle's right breast, wing and arrow feathers are mushy as all get-out, with some weakness on obv curls as well. Die cracks= mushy strike? This is a crazy coin all 'round.

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    It doesn't look strange to me. It simply looks like a flashy unc. coin with some striking weakness, and a bit of color (though not nearly what I had expected from the "colors to rival a Chagall" reference).
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    For a gold coin, that's wild color. Almost too wild.

Euro gold can show color like that, but it's usually dull and dirty when unmolested. Maybe dipped Euro gold can look like that, but it's unusual at any rate.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very nice original coin to me. The bit of weak strike does not bother me.
    By the way, I am in the camp that this is an 1849/1849 coin, not a 9/8, but I still like it.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't look strange to me. It simply looks like a flashy unc. coin with some striking weakness, and a bit of color (though not nearly what I had expected from the "colors to rival a Chagall" reference). >>

Agreed.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    I like that coin a lot,
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great to me. I don't find the colors to be that big a deal, but then again, I don't have the coin in hand.

(If anybody wants to PUT it in my hand, I'm more than ready, haha.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks great to me. I don't find the colors to be that big a deal, but then again, I don't have the coin in hand.

(If anybody wants to PUT it in my hand, I'm more than ready, haha.) >>

I don't think it should end up on your hat.......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file