Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the date of this Buffalo - overdate?

My grandson and I were looking at some old Buffs with a loupe, I called this a 1926, he called it a 1928. I have a digital microscope camera and put it under that for a picture. Still looks like a 6 but is there another number under it? And is there some kind of doubling on the top of the 2?

Edited to correct my title.
Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure can't see much in the image, but I will say it's probably a mushy strike and mingled with obliterated metal.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    It's a 1926- you can tell by the straight left side of the last digit- a 6. The 8 is looped in the middle on a 1928 coin quite distinctly.
  • Options
    Thanks - guess we weren't lucky enough to find an overdate. And I was just showing him the difference in the 6's and 8's. Teacher's in-service day, no kindergarten. This kid would look at coins 24/7 if we'd let him!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kevinstang said. It's a 1926. They can be a little confusing in low grade if your eyesight ain't the best. I know I've had an embarrassing episode or two where I've confused 1923 and 1928 Peace dollars, which could be an expensive mistake if one isn't paying attention! (Fortunately I do own a loupe or two.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, 1926 one hundred percent.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    ...i vote 26 marlene. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file