Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ATB to remain at 3" diamter

derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today's Coin World is reporting that the US Mint has announced there will be no change to the diamter of the 2011 Pucks.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
- Nick Giambruno
Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they aren't changing the size of the pucks. I think that would have been a not so bright move if they did. That is something that they should have thought about before they started minting them.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    The fact that they are making these for another 10 years. At least. Until they switch to the presidential spouse hockey pucks for the next 10 years following...

Sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer.
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Everyone calling them "hockey pucks" sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer.
    Everyone going crazy over these sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer.
    Everyone paying ridiculous price for these sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer.

Have a nice day image
  • Options
    I rather like the 3'' design--it gives a great canvas for the national parks & forests. Just too bad some of the designs don't deserve 3''.

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone calling them "hockey pucks" sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer. >>

I know how you feel. They look nothing like hockey pucks and people that call them hockey pucks to disparage them have probably never held or seen a real hockey puck.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    A hockey puck is hard and black and any hockey player will tell you how much it hurts when it hits you in the cup!!!!

These coins only hurt you in the pocketbook!!!!
  • Options
    Ball-peen hammer image

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that this announcement comes while the US mint is director-less, if indeed it is new information. Assuming it's new, it probably further indicates that the persons making all the real coin decisions are career officers and employees of the mint, and the director's role is mainly to sign paperwork for ceremonial purposes. And what else should we expect of a political appointee? In the case of Moy who stepped down effective January 9th, his numismatic qualifications were his purported childhood piggybank.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm glad they aren't changing the size of the pucks. I think that would have been a not so bright move if they did. That is something that they should have thought about before they started minting them. >>

The size of these were mandated by law and only after Congress was petitioned, was the law modified allowing the US Mint to choose a size. Prior to the modification, production had already begun.

IMO, 3" is simply unrealistic.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭
    If you collect the whole series you're going to need a hand truck to move the complete set!
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you collect the whole series you're going to need a hand truck to move the complete set! >>

...and a Ballpeen hammer.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    LOL! Does ANYONE really trust the US Mint to keep a promise??!
  • Options

<< <i>LOL! Does ANYONE really trust the US Mint to keep a promise??! >>

Well, some of this stuff is set in stone by the laws passed by congress. But these coins can be legally made between 2.5'' and 3'' with the Coin Modernization Act. I had a hard time believing they'd scrap the 3'' coins after this year's due to the fact they had now perfected the process and had created the infrastructure to strike them...
  • Options
    Agree! I read the Law as amended, as well.

It seems to me that the reason the Mint only got out around 33K (besides having only a single 8 hour shift) is because 3" diameter is the cutting edge of Mint Press Technology. Common sense (careful coinboy, we are talking US Govt.) says that by pulling the diameter back to 2.5" , the shrinkage will allow the Mint to increaser production rate and reduce the number of rejections/passed units.

I have 10 units , 2 of the Coins have slight Die cracks pressed into them. The Dies they went thru to get 33K must have been insane!
  • Options

<< <i> Common sense (careful coinboy, we are talking US Govt.) says that by pulling the diameter back to 2.5" , the shrinkage will allow the Mint to increaser production rate and reduce the number of rejections/passed units.
    >>

Definitely a good point. We know now that the Mint will stick with the 3'' size for at least 2011. Smart move, if you ask me, because changing the size could lead to complications, resulting in reruns of circus that happened this year. If they're smart, they're making the 2011 pucks NOW so they can make enough....and are maybe working to perfect a 2.5'' system well before 2012 so that they can make the process easier for themselves in the long run. Hard to say.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    For the record, I filled out the A-mark form and even my paypal password, in a demented way it was entertaining to try to get through the order, but I couldn't bring myself to hit send. I'm pretty sure it would have been financially smart to do it, and I think it was a money making venture for those that got them and I congatulate anyone for what a appears to be a wise financial transaction, but for those that have actually seen them and are not in for the flip (yes, all 17 of you), does anyone really like these things?

They aren't coins. I guess the best description is bullion "medals" but at 2X to crazy X melt these things are selling for, are they really a worthy numismatic item?

Personally, I have seen them at the fun show and I think they're kind of hideous....probably just me, well looking at some posts, maybe not just meimage
  • Options
    There is a pretty amazing split with these as far as loving 'em or hating 'em. Personally, having held all of 'em, I think they're impressive but the designs could be better.

But when you combine world-known famous places, US-official strikes, and high silver content, 33k is mighty low. Easy to forget these things will be wanted by more than just Americans. Heck, I think I saw half of Germany at Yosemite last summer.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a pretty amazing split with these as far as loving 'em or hating 'em. Personally, having held all of 'em, I think they're impressive but the designs could be better.

But when you combine world-known famous places, US-official strikes, and high silver content, 33k is mighty low. Easy to forget these things will be wanted by more than just Americans. Heck, I think I saw half of Germany at Yosemite last summer. >>

While that may be true I hardly think that folks ar really going to shell out serious money for a collectible coin at a National Park as a souvenir.

When I vist the National Parks, I pick up the official Park Medals when they are available at usually less than $10.

The sad reality is that these things will fail as a collectible. Most folks will have quite a few but only those that can afford the storage space will ever entertain the thought of completing a collection.

I honestly believe that these 3" pieces simply fell onto a wave of "can't wait to see em" and "when they gonna be here?" and when Apmex put em up for ridiculous money, the hype wave really began. These are simply the "newest" thing from the US Mint and like the First Spouse Gold coins, will lose their popularity within a year or so and then folks won't really care except how they can dump them without losing too much money.

It's actually kinda sad how the market can be manipulated so easily.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact that they are making these for another 10 years. At least. Until they switch to the presidential spouse hockey pucks for the next 10 years following...

Sort of makes me want to smash myself in the forehead with a ball peen hammer. >>

20 more years of this? are you joking?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file