Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay seller 'gwb1944' check out all the fakes...UPDATE!

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Am I totally mistaken or are all of his seated dollars and trade dollars Chinese fakes?

Maybe someone could provide a link to his auction.

Also, check out how many he's sold already!!
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Only one item listed - you must have frightened him! >>

thanks for the link.

Yes, one item for now, but look at how many he's sold (click on his feedback number) and for good money too.

The 1840 is an outright Fake!

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    Here is a link to other items he has sold and received feedback on - several poorly made counterfeits. Please report him.

see here
  • Options
    I truly feel terrible for the buyers of his fakes.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported.

So that "Seated dollar" has been in his family for 3 generations, huh? They must marry and have children at a very young age in his family to have such short generations. I guess his mother was ten and his grandmother twenty years old when he was born.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I truly feel terrible for the buyers of his fakes. >>

I concur......can you imagine the looks on the buyers faces when they go to sell and are told they are fakes...especially the buyer of the set of Trade dollars, over $5,000??? Boy, if that were me....
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I truly feel terrible for the buyers of his fakes. >>

I concur......can you imagine the looks on the buyers faces when they go to sell and are told they are fakes...especially the buyer of the set of Trade dollars, over $5,000??? Boy, if that were me.... >>

This isn't even funny! What a mess! There all fakes.....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    doesn't seem like English is first language

maybe grampa makes the dies, pa strikes the fakes, and he sells them
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. Obvious fakes.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Who are you guys trying to fool? He was asked directly if these coins were replicas... he said "NO!" Time to move on! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    People need to learn how to spot fakes. Wow.

-Paul
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have taken this coin along with other coins to 3 coin dealers in our population area of 450,000 people. The coin has been measure, weighted, silver verified and check out completely and all 3 coin dealers confirmed that the coin is genuine. >>

AND???

It would have been much simpler to just send it to PCGS. Even if it doesn't grade, at least it would be in a Genuine holder (IF) it were genuine. I wonder if these Chinese guys know that their bad English grammar is a dead giveaway? image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reported. notes sent to previous buyers of fakes.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    $15 to ship it too, yikes.
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But wait, he clearly states "This coin is genuine and not from China, etc..". I do feel for the buyers but man, how many red flags does one need.

He states that the coins have been in his family for 3 generations. If that were in fact true, then he'd know that they wern't fakes OR from China, yet he states he's taken them to 3 different coin dealers to confirm they weren't fake. Why would he do that??? He tripped all over his own description to get some poor schmuck to pull the trigger and bid on them. Just reading the description should make anyone that can read run for the hills.
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And another lamb is lined up for the slaughter, it would seem. He's got a bidder, unless that's one of you putting in a "white knight" bid to keep it out of the dummies' grasp.

Sometimes I see these things and think, "OK, maybe this guy doesn't know he's got a fake". I'm too charitable that way.

THIS guy, on the other hand, is obviously a boldfaced liar and a crook, and I sure hope he gets taken down. Wow.

Maybe the sheep deserve to be fleeced, but this guy has quite a racket goin' on, and it sure would be nice to see somebody take out the trash. Not that it would do anything much in the long run, I suppose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>reported. notes sent to previous buyers of fakes.
    bob >>

I too have sent notes to previous buyers. Not everyone of them but a good handful.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poof'd
    Lance.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Sad! And these aren't even good fakes!

Tom

• Options

Question

How can you notify previous buyers since their identities are hidden ?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question

How can you notify previous buyers since their identities are hidden ? >>

you have the names from the feedback
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Question

How can you notify previous buyers since their identities are hidden ? >>

Click on the seller's (gwb1944) feedback number.

Then you see his feedbacks.

Then click on the buyers feedback numbers.

Then you click "contact member".

• Options
    I sent the weasel a note telling him to take the fake down and got this response:

The coin was taken down before I receive your message to be sent in to NGC for rating. But let me ask you a question, have you check out item # 370390683860. Look closely at the Liberty lady holding the hat with the rod. Notice the direction of the rod going down. Its going behind the body not in front of body. So, explain to me what is a fake and what is real when even a coin back with a PCGS rating. Thank you.

- gwb1944
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    I've received numerous emails from buyers of gwb1944.

I'm trying to help them out.

There sure is a lot of uninformed buyers of expensive coins out there.!!

• Options

<< <i>I sent the weasel a note telling him to take the fake down and got this response:

The coin was taken down before I receive your message to be sent in to NGC for rating. But let me ask you a question, have you check out item # 370390683860. Look closely at the Liberty lady holding the hat with the rod. Notice the direction of the rod going down. Its going behind the body not in front of body. So, explain to me what is a fake and what is real when even a coin back with a PCGS rating. Thank you.

- gwb1944 >>

Now that is a new one! Send a coin to NGC and have it come back graded by PCGS! Why didn't I think of that?
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent the weasel a note telling him to take the fake down and got this response:

- gwb1944 >>

Love it..."the hat and the rod". A true numismatist.

If you look at that seated dollar you will see the pole is correct, just that the part of it with the field background has some dirt or toning that highlights it. The portion with drapes behind it is not protected and blends into the folds, giving the appearance that the pole disappears behind Liberty's arm.
    Lance.

(edited typo)
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

- gwb1944 >>

If you like at that seated dollar you will see the pole is correct, just that the part of it with the field background has some dirt or toning that highlights it. The portion with drapes behind it is not protected and blends into the folds, giving the appearance that the pole disappears behind Liberty's arm.
    Lance. >>

Based on what the seller wrote in his listings, he is obviously a liar, and knows he is selling counterfeits. So I wouldn't believe anything he says, anyway.
  • Options
    Weasel loves to communicate. I'll give him that. Just got another eBay message from him. He is so full of it:

I was using that coin to compare to my coin I until notice when I enlarge it that the rod was going behind the arm. I'm still questioning and wondering if my coin is fake. But I going to send them into NGC to be verified. I'm 67 year old selling off the coins to pay for medical bills and my grandfather was the original collector of the coins. So, even he is human and could had made a misstake. But when 3 coin dealers tells you the coins is genuine and some people on Ebay is telling they are not. Then who do you believe. Again, thank you.

- gwb1944
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    Here's one 'unsatisfied' customer that is now 'satisfied'.......

"Tony (me) I can not thank you enough for your assistance. gwb1944 has replied saying how sorry he was and that I should send the coin back for a refund(money back policy?) It'll cost me $12.89 shipping to return the coin.I feel so foolish but have learned a valuable lesson thanks to you.I reported it to ebay who have opened a case. I don't want anyone else to fall victim to this pervert. If he doesn't refund my money I hope ebay will help. Tony, BEST WISHES and I do appreciate your time. T****"

One down, 50 to go.......

• Options
    Somehow I just don't see him getting his refund from this guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Somehow I just don't see him getting his refund from this guy. >>

I did advise this person to send the coin back with a tracking number and with signature for delivery confirmation.

What else should be done?

• Options
    Probably nothing else he can do. I think the seller is an out and out crook and will not give the refund period. Ebay will have to end up dealing with it.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably nothing else he can do. I think the seller is an out and out crook and will not give the refund period. Ebay will have to end up dealing with it. >>

Unfortunately, if the buyer already left positive feedback, eBay will probably not do very much either.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    Second coin going back......

"Tony ,

Thank, I'm filing a case and sending the coin back.

- *i*********0"

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

- gwb1944 >>

If you like at that seated dollar you will see the pole is correct, just that the part of it with the field background has some dirt or toning that highlights it. The portion with drapes behind it is not protected and blends into the folds, giving the appearance that the pole disappears behind Liberty's arm.
    Lance. >>

Based on what the seller wrote in his listings, he is obviously a liar, and knows he is selling counterfeits. So I wouldn't believe anything he says, anyway. >>

image He knows what he's doing!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    This guy was discussed on the LSCC forum too - obvious fakes image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Anyone wanna inform another seller?

The 1863 and 1871 are also fakes - and though i'm not a TD expert by any means, i wouldn't touch those either...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone,

I was reading this thread and looked at some of the auctions.......BTW,DoubleEagle59 kudo's to you for what you are doing.

I noticed he lives in Roscoe,USA
    Well is there anyway I (someone) could check to see what state he lives in,because I live 12 miles from a town called Roscoe.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    Ebay is getting so bad I wonder how long before we see a listing like this:

From the Chinese bank hoard of 1926 I offer ten rolls of Liberty seated dollars. These have been in my family for 3 generations so you don't need no stinking pictures. Guaranteed not to be fakes, because the Chinese weren't making fakes in 1926. We'll start these at 99 cents and see where they go.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone wanna inform another seller?

The 1863 and 1871 are also fakes - and though i'm not a TD expert by any means, i wouldn't touch those either... >>

Thanks, I have contacted the seller and EBay.
  • Options
    ditto coinguy

bob
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I came uo with a Roscoe
    IL, NY, PA, KS, TX, OH, GA, IA, KY, MN, MO, MT, SD, Nebraska
  • Options
    I just received this email from one of the buyers of these phoney 'gwb1944' coins.

Dear Tony,

Ebay contacted me. They are shutting down the "3 Generation" coin site. Thank you for your help. All the best.
    M***

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    What in the world does this even mean?

"But because of Ebays rules, I cannot shared the value of the coin or actual rating."
  • Options

<< <i>I just received this email from one of the buyers of these phoney 'gwb1944' coins.

Dear Tony,

Ebay contacted me. They are shutting down the "3 Generation" coin site. Thank you for your help. All the best.
    M***
    ___________________ >>

Yes, I got that email from Mike, too! Nice to see we helped shut one scammer down!
    bob
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People need to learn how to spot fakes. Wow.

-Paul >>

People need to do their homework before spending their money. You can really take a beating, as evidenced by these buyers, if you are not a well-informed buyer. Even though the economy is in the terlit, there still seems to be too many people with too much money....they need to 'read the book' before buying. It's a shame they got taken, and I don't wish to seem cold, but after all...and it's been mentioned a bajillion times here....it's 'tuition'. We ALL pay it at one point or other (usually early on, and mine wasn't as expensive as some of this seller's buyers).
    I'll come up with something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file