Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

my "tornado" Roosie...... error?

Hey all. Just wondering if this is mint, post mint or what kind of damage? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an error, but not sure what kind.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Struck through a capped die?
    Ed
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Struck through a capped die? >>

Yes, and it's also a split die. Nice error.
  • Options
    Very Nice! image

Coinsaboutforum.com Join today!
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struck thru a split die cap(?). The only thing holding the obverse die together had to have been the cap itself.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    That is one cool and serious error! Where did you come across it?
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Not looking to sell it, but just out of curiosity; anyone out there have an educated guess on the value?

RunnersDad (Mike) - I found this, and 99% of the rest of the coins in my collection while working as a coin processor for a major armored car company. What I didn't find in the bags that I dumped in and ran through the Jet Sort machine; I found while sorting through "junk coin" from the coin wrap department.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd estimate it's value at $100 or so, maybe more. It's not all that uncommon for a split die to also be covered by a cap.
  • Options
    One of my favorite error types: split dies! Probably 1/3 or so of all split dies come struck through a die cap, so the fact that it's struck through a die cap makes it worth no more or less--the real error is the split die itself. Yours is worth between $150-$225 in my estimation.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses and estimates guys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, howdy, the armored car guys are sure in the catbird seat when it comes to cherrypickin' errors. I have a buddy who used to be in that line of work, and he tells stories of the stuff he found. He's a total numismatic illiterate, but I can tell from the stories that he found some cool stuff.

One time when I was assisting a local dealer (before he moved away and left ME as the only thing resembling a dealer in town), this guy came into the shop. Jim knew him, and apparently he was an armored car guy. You should've seen the bag of off-center and blank cents he spilled out. Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LordM - it certainly is the job to have if you're in to coins (even if you're not actually). And especially if you can work things out with the higher-ups regarding buying what silver you come across at face value. I could have made a small fortune during my time there had I had the resources and the "nod" from the guys upstairs. I also could have filled bags with all of the off-center cents, dimes, quarters (didn't see too many off-center nickels for whatever reason), and blanks I got to sort through; but I didn't have the funds to swap out for all of that, so I concentrated mainly on the more "interesting" stuff I found.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file